30 May 2006

title of my first novel



"taste it," she said. she stuck her head out the car window and opened her mouth as wide as it would go. her bangs were matted to her forehead but her ponytail was flapping wildly.

"taste the wind! taste the wind! it tastes good."

"what does it taste like?"

"it tastes cold."

"oh, yes. I can see where it might taste like that."

"come on mommy TASTE IT!"

so I stuck my head out the window and opened my mouth and tried (really, I didn't just pretend) to taste it. I'd never thought about tasting the wind before. snowflakes, yes. rain, of course. also, there has been much speculation in our house in the past regarding the flavor of clouds. honestly, the wind tasted a little bit like concrete to me. disappointing but poetic, all the same.

try it today. keep in mind, it needs to be fairly windy outside if you are planning on standing still. otherwise, you're going to have to stick your head out of a moving vehicle or run very fast. better if your mouth is wide open and you might try closing your eyes. I wish I had closed my eyes.

17 comments:

  1. i love the thought of you and your daughter with your heads out the car windows, open mouths and big airy grins! to bad it didn't taste like watermelon...i will have to give it a try.
    ~mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stuck my head out the window too, and the wind tasted pretty good to me. I kept my eyes open, though. I had to—I was driving the car.

    Great post. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taste the wind...Wow, I love that! I'm going to try it today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i cannot wait to read your novels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this one - just beautiful.

    It makes me wonder what the color green tastes like...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you sign my copy of your novel please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just remembered that I meant to recommend some books for you and Ava. I thought about telling you back when you posted the story of Ava and clouds, but I forgot.

    Marie-Louise Gay wrote a set of books called the Stella series. They're about this little girl and her younger brother, Sam. Sam has a million questions for his ever so knowledgable older sister, and Stella, naturally, has all the answers.

    They're great books full of beautiful language, imagination and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your daughter, Ava, are something else! Wish I could have seen it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the wind. Ava is so clever, I love the Ava-isms that you share with us. I'm certain the wind tastes wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such fun, and the cloud debate continues at our house...

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an inspiring piece to read first thing in the morning before my run.
    lovely writing, andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. now I am going to have to do this-
    This is one reason i am anxiously awaiting the day I have kids= they always have such amazing things going through their minds- such an awesome post...

    ReplyDelete
  13. My God, Andrea, you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete