23 February 2011
22 February 2011
one of my favorite people to photograph. that friend of mine, that dan smith.
last week found me on a shoot with my brother-- first to atlanta to an abandoned trainyard off dekalb avenue and then to the outer edges of a crumbly ghostly town in southern illinois. I love my job. even though it occasionally takes me away from my family, I love my job. I love the brainstorming of ideas, the researching of locations. I love the styling, the working out of the details, the finessing of story lines. but mostly, I love working with my brother.
so anyway, dan was at the trainyard in atlanta with us and there was a little bit of 600 polaroid film (such a sad little bit) and a smidge of magic light and if nothing else ever even came out of the shoot but this polaroid, well then I'd still be happy. because polaroid portraits like these make my world go round and round and round.
I do have more to share, so much more.
15 February 2011
I really sort of love valentines day. and not because I need a special day to wallow in love and sweetness, but because I need a day where pink and red reign supreme. pink paper chains and red construction paper hearts. pink frosting and bright red cherry juice. pink roses and red tulips. I am a sucker for such things. and I'm not ashamed to say it.
08 February 2011
a few more photographs from my train adventure-- train number 11, portland to san francisco. next time, portland to los angeles. I'm putting it on The List.
06 February 2011
part of my belated 40th birthday present involved riding train number 11 (the coast starlight) all the way down to san francisco. after eighteen hours of riding, here's what I know: I love trains. I think they might be my favorite way to travel. and friends, I could not tear my eyes away from the window. I could not. I stared out that train window until the sky turned black and there was nothing left to see but the dim neon lights of the occasional small town we passed through. I did not sleep much but I did make a list of a few things I saw along the way. well, of course I made a list. I made a list because it's what I do. but also, I made a list because I want to remember.
1. bright blocks of trainyard graffiti
2. birds swooping in oblong patterns
3. golden magic hour light and the willamette river
4. cobbled-together shanty towns
5. a woman waving from her back porch
6. the insides of a few dimly lit dining rooms, the glare of tiny televisions
7. a rainbow of plastic fruit crates
8. a field full of bright yellow tractors
9. a brilliant pink sky
10. a spectacular jumble of electrical equipment
11. nothing but darkness for what seemed like hours
12. small town neon
13. train passengers scrambling off the train to smoke
14. the insides of a long grey tunnel
15. finally, a sliver of moon
16. and then eventually, milky white light and the beginning of a new day
17. an unfinished highway
18. a neon pink wind sock
19. the first palm tree
20. an unrecognizable word spelled out with pieces of driftwood
21. a swampy area filled with a dozen overturned grocery carts
22. tiny hopeful patches of blue sky
23. and then finally, a wide open blue sky
24. an old turquoise trailer and too many industrial parks to mention
25. the waters of san pablo bay
26. more and more bright-colored graffiti
27. the beginnings of oakland
28. a woman in a row boat
29. the san francisco skyline
I cannot wait to ride again. I. cannot. wait.
02 February 2011
I am so completely excited to be taking mati and lisa's new painting class. I am telling you, I am ready to get my paint on and I am not even kidding. I'm ready to create a little space to paint in, hang a new inspiration wire, dig out all my supplies. I'm ready for new supplies too. tomorrow, I'll head down to the art supply store and is there even anything more beautiful than the art supply store? is there? all those tubes of bright-colored paint, those rainbow rows of chalks and colored pencils, those tubs of gum erasers, those blank canvases. possibility for days. and the smell of an art supply store! right up there with the inside of an old library book.
so yes, I'm excited. if you'd like to get your paint on too well then you've got today-- today is the last day to sign up.
I don't know about you but so far, I am liking february.