02 July 2008

monday, monday

hello monday, hello chinatown. to be fair, other places were visited that day too. big places that shan't take a back seat to anyone, anyplace, anything. still, chinatown won me over. though she's running neck and neck with the mission. it's a tight race, my friends. it's my kind of race.



paper lanterns everywhere



faded, slightly swaying



colors colors



and the frenzied flap of pigeon wings



the click and slide of small game pieces, bits of conversation in a language I wish I understood



shops with so much jingly jangly, tiny aisles packed from floor to ceiling with satin pouches, plastic souvenirs, waving pink ceramic kitties, glass bowls stacked generously in every corner



shops with parasol-covered ceilings, silk umbrellas hovering overhead like neon moths



again with all the color



sweet lotus cakes and butterfly cookies, how could we have lived so long without tasting you? I imagine the world is filled with things like this

also

totally unrelated but taking place on the very same day:



visits to places where people have big, bright ideas

and speaking of bright ideas:



and speaking of big places:



hello sweet golden gate bridge, hello spectacularly cold wind, hello me as seen through the eyes of my favorite person



hello there san francisco

yes, monday was a big day.

24 comments:

  1. First of all, I think your blog is simply beautiful. Secondly, I bought a Nikon D40 recently and I hope I can take pictures that are half as lovely as yours?

    What is your background in photography because your photos are so stunning and vibrant; I'm mesmerized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola!
    came accross your blog thru sfgirl by the bay. lovely, Im enjoying all your color-packed fotos. fantastico!
    ill be cheeckin in again for sure.
    .xo
    from the san francisco fog blanket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great shots! Glad to see that you made it to chinatown! It's so magical... Did you notice that every area of the city has a different atmosphere??

    ReplyDelete
  4. these take my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza! Beautiful shots! That is some serious eye-candy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know i've said this before. but i just absolutely love seeing the world through your lens. and san francisco is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. Just awesome. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm loving all of the colors. so fun to see san fran through your eyes. the portrait of you is a beauty by the way. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to live there. Talk about making a girl miss a place. Your photos are magic. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently found your most lovely blog. Thanks for sharing all of this gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes. beautiful. you have an amazing grasp on beutiful things in life. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lived in SF for 6+ish years and am really starting to miss it, especially seeing through your gorgeous vibrant pictures! I hope I get to go back for another stay someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an exquisite post! Wonderful and inspirational - I love every single photograph in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for giving me a new view of my city. I've been in a little bit of a runt, and often walk through town not seeing anything new. Now I remember that there is something to see everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this post. i spent a lot of time here as a kid...especially at the park where all the old men (and now ladies!!) sit and play games. there used to be an old wooden playhouse /slide structure there...now gone.):
    great images...beautiful portrait of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!!!
    I absolutely adore your blog and the way that you see the world, your pictures are beautiful and inspiring!!
    You look fabulous in that pic by the golden gate bridge! Happy 4th!!
    Joline

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're makin me cry.
    one of my old favorite haunts.
    so many memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have SUCH an eye for beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You must know this by now, but you are an amazing blogger. Most people would try to give us highlights of their trip and miss so many of the little joys. Or, they would throw their hands up in dispair. You - oh, you. A day at a time view - perfect! I'm lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these photos and the new ones as well! Your photos are always very inspiring. Love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, isn't Pixar great?! Love visiting there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great photos as usual...and beautiful photo of you Andrea. --zo_irish

    ReplyDelete
  23. the colors in your photos are mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I took pretty much that same photo of the Chinatown post—by accident, I pointed my camera down and found it in the viewfinder. Love your photos and your blog. I've been reading off an on for a few months.

    ReplyDelete