17 July 2019

a small needful fact

a small needful fact

is that eric garner worked
for some time for the parks and rec.
horticultural department, which means,
perhaps, that with his very large hands,
perhaps, in all likelihood,
he put gently into the earth
some plants which, most likely,
some of them, in all likelihood,
continue to grow, continue
to do what such plants do, like house
and feed small and necessary creatures,
like being pleasant to touch and smell,
like converting sunlight
into food, like making it easier
for us to breathe.

ross gay

it's been a hard week. for me personally, yes, I have nearly been broken by a few personal things. but for this country, it's been a hard week. it's been a hard month, a hard year, a hard couple of years, a hard decade, a hard century. we seem brutally, inexorably bent on moving backwards. federal criminal charges were not pressed

I first shared this poem back in 2016

2 comments:

  1. Andrea, you are a gift and an inspiration to me. Your lists are the highlight of my day, they give me something to muse over and reflect upon. Thank you for sharing this Ross Gay poem, it broke me open a bit-- which is both a blessing and a curse, I suppose. So many things are breaking me these days, but I think thee points of connection are helping to knit me, knit us, together again. May we eventually be stronger for it. Just wanted you to know how much I adore you and this project. Thanks for showing up, day and day out. Love, ~b xoxxoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, beth. thank you, thank you, thank you. not only for the kind words but for taking the time to share them with me. I've never been one to blog for comments but am always humbled (and, quite honestly, surprised) when people take the time. thank you so much for sharing-- it makes me feel so much less alone in all this. xoxo

      Delete