29 July 2009

out of the booth



way back in february, I stood in a cozy little shop called ampersand and thumbed through boxes of old snapshots. while I happily mined for vintage photographic gold, the owner (myles) told me about about a photobooth exhibit they were planning for the summer. I was already totally smitten with the place but that sort of did it. that absolutely sealed the deal. of course, summer felt like seven hundred years away and I completely forgot about the show. up until a couple of days ago.



out of the booth features photobooth enlargements from the robert e. jackson collection and opens tonight. portland peeps, I'm fairly certain this will be awesome. unfortunately, I am currently several hundred miles from portland (more on that later) but some of you are not. and I am thinking you should go to this. because I'm telling you, it's really going to be something. also, myles says there will be air-conditioning and you and I both know you're right smack dab in the middle of a no-joke sort of heat wave. how much more time can you spend at the movies? at the library? in the pool? or heaven forbid, the mall? you know you're running out of ideas. get thee to ampersand! for the opening tonight, ryan brubaker will be on hand to shoot photobooth-like portraits with his polaroid camera. also available: free cold drinks. free. cold. drinks. and air-conditioning. AIR CONDITIONING. but most importantly, a stunning collection of vintage photobooth images. witness above. witness below.



if you can't make it tonight, out of the booth runs through august 23rd. and I can't say much yet but it looks like I may be participating in a little something special (in conjunction with the show) before the show's end. details to come.

if you go, tell myles I said hi. and tell him andrea sent you.

22 comments:

  1. although i've never been there, i've fallen in love with portland through various medias of writing, yours being one. i just love your stuff, really. thanks for the inspiration and keep on doin your thing, for realz

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great find! i totally wish i was going to be in portland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heat wave sounds sort of nice from the the frosty clime I'm typing from. I'll never make it over in time - though the tasters you've shown us are sublime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was in Portland so I could attend this. It looks like it would be so fun to go see. Thanks for telling is about this...so I can imagine being there!
    xoxo-Meg
    fiddlesticksandfunnygirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are intriguing, and the show sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I didn't even know photobooths existed that long ago, hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! Wish I were in Portland too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow these are fab. really makes me want to do my own photobooth collection. just to let you know i've been showing you some blog lovage...feel free to drop by and pick up your awards if you so fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool show! These photobooth shots have really captured the essence, the joie de vivre of each of the sitters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for an art exhibit!
    (Love the lady in the sombrero!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like it will be an amazing show to see for sure. It is good to learn about Robert E. Jackson. I also wanted to take the time to thank you for your post a while back on dancing and the documentary of Annie Leibovitz. I watched it and loved it. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds utterly engaging...not to mention just plain old fab...wish I could go, but I am on the opposite shore...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool stuff, Andrea!

    www.doncokerart.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dope photoboothers!
    If only I could visit Portland [sigh].

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww...so wish I could have been there for that exhibit!! We have a little bit of a photobooth obsession (for almost each holiday or event we go for a visit, with costumes, props, etc.) In fact I just bought your photobooth pic in your etsy last night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how freakin' cool. i love portraits. i love photo booths. i love the grainy old photos. wish i was in portland, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Miss Hula. I had to send you this cause I know you love a good photo booth story. Here's mine. www.picnicsinthepark.blogspot.com
    I really wanted to email you, but I kept getting routed to another mail service that I don't feel like setting up right now.
    Any how, just check out the above blog--the 2 most current posts. I think you'll feel the photo booth love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, just wanted to say how much fun I've had reading your posts. You have a lovely blog and I found out things I knew nothing about until now ! Thank you for sharing your pictures and thoughts.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  18. clicking my ruby slippers and thinking of portland.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...i have been thinking of you a lot -- we have been on a photoautomat goldmine run through europe this summer (mostly berlin, but paris & london too) get. thee. to. eastern. berlin. you will faint from the photobooth scores everywhere. & i do mean everywhere. they were 2 euros. they were vertical long, vertical SQUARE (so cool), horizontal with the little rectangle & horizontal SQUARE - like a mini hasselblad square format - so beautiful.

    i have more than 50+ strips to load up to flickr & to your photobooth collection set there.

    berlin needs to be on your list!!

    (& now i have the bug even worse, i have a "plan" for a year of photobooth strips...)

    when are you coming to SF so we can meet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, these photographs are really cool. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. so have you seen this:

    www.laphotocabine.com/

    thought of you. . . does it cheapen the real thing, or bring it home for your own personal enjoyment. . . every party to be captured in fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun to relive the day the sitting in a booth at the rollerskating rink or where ever you could find them.
    Thans for the sweet memories pushed to the front and grateful for those days of such fun.

    ReplyDelete