17 March 2013

number 38


"you have to love dancing to stick to it. it gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that single fleeting moment when you feel alive." -merce cunningham

and this is why I am dancing again. because I need to feel alive. not just a little bit alive but a lot alive, wholly fully electrically alive. the truth is that I have been holding on by the skin of my teeth for a long time now. I don't know any other way, really. and here was this thing, this spectacular missing piece sort of thing and I couldn't see it, couldn't seem to get to it. for so long, it sort of hovered overhead, in that mysterious space where lovely things tend to hover, seemingly impossibly out of reach, forever and ever amen.

eff it, I said. I'm going to class. and I did. in that first five minutes I felt my body melt into the floor, my hips, my thighs, my shoulders, my ankles, my fingertips, my eyelids, my everything. thoughts scattered, head cleared and for once, grief took a number. had to wait in line, just like everything else. for ninety short minutes, I let go of everything. listened to trains come and go outside, contemplated things like breath and weight. moved through that beautiful light-filled space in the clumsiest, loveliest way. reacquainted myself with that very specific vernacular, the one that only modern dance teachers seem to speak. I was home. am home.

number 38 off the list. four classes down, ninety-six to go. or, a thousand, a hundred thousand, a million, a billion. because if I do nothing else on the list but this, I will have won.

20 comments:

  1. oh, friend. i love this. so, so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, so beautifully written. I often get that feeling when running - where your body melts and your thoughts scatter, and I never feel so relaxed as that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sure we'd all love to see you dance! wink wink :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. spectacular. i adore you so much. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you're dancing. So proud of you, and I know your Mom is too.

    Thinking about you a lot, especially this week.
    Love you, hula girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put so perfectly into words a heart's need to soar free of grief if even for a moment - while never for a second losing sight of that great loss - for no other reason than to make our spirits smile (which is so exactly they would want for us). Thank you for your words Hula Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you make me appreciate all of that modern dance stuff through new eyes... i'm grateful for it too. and for not really knowing you, i feel connected to you often. perhaps through loss, and dancing, and beauty. take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful. My favorite thing to do is watch you dance. You are born to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Andrea, for finding that love again. I'm hoping to get there again soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. amen to winning!
    i have goosebumps and tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done you. it's so important to keep passion alive

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I am happy, so happy that you have found your way back to your center.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes.
    yes.
    yes.

    my heart is singing for you as i read these words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "grief took a number." love love love this. so happy for you. keep dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that the studio at Conduit in Portland?

    ReplyDelete