23 June 2006

photobooth friday






(my parents, jim and gussy, sometime around 1967, eastern illinois university-- the last one is my all-time favorite photo of the two of them)

I watched my parents in the dark of the car last night. we were all packed in there, packed in tight-- me and the kids in the back seat, my mom and dad and the two dogs in the front. the windows were slightly cracked and I could hear the hum of the engine, the passing traffic. soothed by the darkness, the kids finally (FINALLY) succumbed to sleep. we weren't making great time-- midnight was approaching and we had a ridiculous amount of mileage left to cover. I slipped my headphones on and let my head fall awkwardly back. there was no getting comfortable on that hump, no matter how much I wiggled and shifted. finally, I slung my legs over the front seat. I could see my parents were in the middle of a conversation. I wondered what they were talking about and turned down the volume to eavesdrop. and it was nothing really, but small talk. still, I was taken by the kindnesses that continue to pass between the two of them. something about the way he thanked her for the coffee she handed him, something about the way they still look at each other.

I realize how lucky I am, to have been witness to this marriage for all of my life. I'm painfully aware of how rare this is, how extraordinary. not that their marriage is a flawless one-- I could write a book on all the quirks. at the same time, I could probably write ten books on why the quirks work in their favor. this past wednesday, they celebrated 37 years of marriage. love, love, love. and something more than love, I think.

(happy anniversary, mom and dad)

the photobooth friday love continues:

jesC
the whole self
lovegreendog
scrumdillyumscious
woofnanny

22 comments:

  1. God, I looooove this, and them. They are so young and beautiful and in love. And man do I know your peace and comfort in the dark of the car. Happy Anniversary to your folks. Here's to many more ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are incredible Andrea. You look like both of them and I can even see your mama in Ava. How wonderful that you had that moment with your parents in the front, your babes in the back beside you road tripping....a memory to be savored even when your on the hump. I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have always been mesmorized by the beauty of your parents in their old photos. And I cant tell you what an example they have been to me in my life. A marriage that lasts and is still so good is something to be admired and treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to have these pictures!

    So weird, though, about your parent's wedding anniversary: I don't usually keep good track of wedding anniversaries, but this year, I've noticed several hinging around Summer Solstice: My parents were married June 21, 1968 (a Friday evening); A good friend from work was married June 22, 1968; and Christy's aunt was married the exact same day as your parents, June 21, 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have always returned to your site for photos like this (though I love the other stuff you do too). Is it just me, or can you tell from that last photo that they'd still be together 37 years later? How lovely that they have a grown daughter who is observant enough to give them their due.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I mentioned on one of these photo's Flickr pages, your parents are a true inspiration to us all. It goes to show just how much time can solidify a relationship and how love conquers all. The way they are with each other is so sweet and funny and beautiful, you can't help but see them as a wonderful, lovable couple. Their love for each other is infectious.

    Happy Anniversary, Jim and Gussy! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh andrea... gorgeous... you may be one of the only other people i know w/ parents who are still married [happily and quirkily]... great tribute... you are such a wordsmith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A marriage that lasts and is still so good is something to be admired and treasured. "

    took the words right out of my mouth!
    bless you all and enjoy this time together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek, I've been forgotten again. I guess I should email you. I plan to post on a regular basis now.
    http://www.woofnanny.blogspot.com/2006/06/photo-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. i thought this was YOU! how beautiful are their smiles? (very)
    thank you for sharing this image!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading about marriages like the kind your parents (and you & Ward) have. It gives me hope.

    Unfortunately, my parents, though still together, have a terrible marriage. I remember in jr. high a lot of my friends' parents were divorcing, and I'd pray that my parents would divorce too. It would have been such a relief from the misery and the fighting. Ughh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is so awsome that you have photos like these!! And that they held up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I love black and white old photos. I got my grandparent's photos out yesterday to show the kids and was considering putting a few of them up on my blog. I have one of my dad when he was a little boy up. He was so cute. It somehow bridges the gap of time between the present and the past to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow what great smiles! you can see so much resemblance - it's eerie!

    nice tribute - such a lovely couple with a lovely family!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i lovelovelove these photos...
    i can only imagine
    how you must treasure them.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful tribute to your parents. Mine were married for 44 yrs till mom passed away a couple of years ago. It is nice to see someone who appreciates them the way you do. Thanks for posting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. I'm so inspired... and your mom: one of the most gorgeous people ever. Her daughter takes after her...

    ReplyDelete
  19. your parents are so damn cute i can hardly stand it! you are so lucky indeed to witness such a strong partnership!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your site, especially the photo booth pics. I have some from when my husband I first dated, but I can't find a booth locally.

    BTW, I live in Atlanta as well, so let me know if you know of any local booths! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much, Andrea, for the kind words! You are right....what a tremendous woman the Lord gave me. I am a blessed man, to say the least, and thanks to all for the kind words... They are really appreciated...What a wonderful blessing you have been to mom and I and words cannot express how much we love you, Ward and the kids.

    ReplyDelete