52 weeks of lists and you had to know this one was coming:
1. cilantro. I'm sorry, cilantro. I want to like you, I really do. but you are not on the good side of my gag reflex.
2. fluorescent lighting. or most overhead lighting, really. because turn on an overhead light and pretty much everyone looks dead. but switch on a couple of lamps and everyone looks pretty. or at the very least, alive. also, lamps totally bring the cozy. I am a big fan of things that bring the cozy.
3. too much cologne. there are people out there drowning in cologne and I don't understand it. also, stores like abercrombie and fitch are pumping desperate amounts of cologne into the air. and it's so wrong I can't even talk about it.
4. wet socks. the moisture makes me loco.
5. magazines like maxim. because it's hard enough out there already.
6. packed movie theatres. because a packed movie theatre means I will inevitably have to sit next to a stranger. which means I will have to share the armrest and hold my purse in my lap. it also means I will not be able to put my feet up on the seat in front of me. and I really need to put my feet up. I just do.
7. black jellybeans. not a fan of the black jellybeans.
8. laundry. nothing sucks the air out of my day like the endlessness of laundry.
9. public automatic water faucets. I am so on board with the whole water conservation thing but would very much like it if I didn't have to perform an elaborate hand jive every time I need a little water to wash my hands. I'm serious. it's out of control.
10. long fingernails. I don't know what happened but I cannot take long fingernails. not even a little bit.
11. big budget action films. nothing puts me to sleep like a big budget action film. I will never need sleeping pills so long as big budget action films exist. thank you hollywood.
12. bras with hidden agendas. because pretty much every bra I own (or have ever owned, for that matter) seems to do something completely different than what was promised. everyday is a showdown, everyday is a battle. and the bras, they are winning the battle. the bras, they are beginning to break my spirit.
(thirteen down, thirty-nine to go)
30 April 2010
28 April 2010
22 April 2010
1. hair, glorious hair
2. the ocean and all that it implies
3. things that are sugary and pretty and probably not good for you
4. stripes and patterns
5. color and more color
6. movers and shakers
7. things that float and hang
8. things that sparkle and spin
9. multiples, multiples, multiples
10. art found on the street
11. things that scream summer
12. flowers that are real
13. flowers that aren't
14. cities I do not live in
15. cities I do live in
16. things that are old
17. hands that tell stories
18. feet that mostly belong to me
19. skies that go on forever
20. bridges and buildings
21. letters and signs
22. people and more people
23. things with wheels
24. machines that play music
25. boxes that record images
26. people that I love
27. pretty much anything during the magic hour
28. pretty much anything.
29. pretty much everything.
(twelve down, forty to go)
21 April 2010
am currently smack dab in the middle of katherine center's new novel, get lucky. katherine, who writes books that beg for long, uninterrupted chunks of time in which nothing else matters but the turning of the page. katherine, who puts words and images together in a way that really means something. katherine, who I am lucky enough to call my friend.
what I'm trying to say is that I can't put her book down. and I really love when that happens.
(the above video= words from get lucky plus my photographs. so totally honored. more about it here.)
14 April 2010
1. paper balloons
2. colorful could-be cameras
3. harpy's float set
4. love letter murals
5. my new (non-black) wallet
6. re-imagined book covers
7. a list to take seriously
8. a pound cake that involves nutella
9. a collaboration that involves an 8 year-old and the art world
10. a new film about an artist I love
11. the building and imagining of so many bikes
12. the last of the orange jellybeans
13. the spring issue of UPPERCASE
14. a glee flashmob (and the hundreds of arms and hands at 1:30 in)
15. the having of helvetica stencils
16. the stories and colors in ruth's paintings
17. the world's first street art disaster film
18. decals that are swoon-worthy
19. dancers who run backwards
20. the two unopened boxes of PX100 film sitting on my desk
21. the lilacs popping near the front porch
22. marionberry-flavored anything
(eleven down, forty-one to go)
13 April 2010
number 29 off the list and why don't I rearrange the furniture more often? a push of the side tables here, a slide of the bed there and voila. brand new bedroom. if the room could could talk, I think it would thank me.
09 April 2010
these are the ones I find myself picking up again and again. something like comfort food but better, so much better.
1. slaves of new york by tama janowitz
2. to kill a mockingbird by harper lee
3. the principles of uncertainty by maira kalman
4. me talk pretty one day by david sedaris
5. writing down the bones by natalie goldberg
6. song of solomon by toni morrison
7. a tree grows in brooklyn by betty smith
8. let the great world spin by colum mcCann
(ten down, forty-two to go)
06 April 2010
what happened in cincinnati (besides a little collaborating with my brother on a music video shoot for the band seabird) is that I had more fun with stencils, stickers, paint chips and spray paint than is perhaps humanly possible. the street artist inside me had a little coming out party, she surely did.
01 April 2010
well, they all mean something to me. but some mean a little more than others. five years worth of writing and it was not easy to choose, not easy at all but here are a few. okay, more than a few.
1. electric brains
2. yes I said yes
3. but it's SPIDERMAN
5. poor five
6. dear italy
7. you can go too
8. hello, I'm a mover
9. I love room service
10. better than everything in the sky
11. 82nd avenue
12. flight 749
13. self portrait #33
14. guilty as charged
15. friday afternoon
16. into marvelous light
(nine down, forty-three to go)