03 November 2008

into marvelous light

I found myself navigating tree-lined streets. for a second, everything was golden. entire trees screamed out light. leaves like bright yellow slips of paper twisted and flipped and spiraled wildly like so much confetti. I willed one to float in through an open window. I wanted to touch it, hold it up to the sunlight and examine the veins. music filled the car, sufjan's voice like butterscotch candy in my mouth. in that moment, it was everything-- the brilliant colors, the falling leaves, the ornate tattoo on the arm of the man in the truck just in front of me, the girl on the street with the pink balloon. the top of the fremont bridge off in the distance, like an enormous ferris wheel, like the promise of the last carnival. all of these things and all at once. beautifully orchestrated, ridiculously fleeting. and why I believe. God is good. all the time.

23 comments:

  1. A divine moment. "Pieces of Heaven", I call them. Thanks for taking me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen, amen, amen! i experienced something very similar today ... the fleeting nature of this sort of beauty renders it all the more wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully expressed. Keeps us longing for heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you write beautifully and poetically. thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts with us.

    you're so blessed to be living in a part of the world where the leaves stay golden and the weather warm for weeks at a time! it's truly a magical time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. even though you didn't post a picture today, you did paint a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful. i had a similar moment last fall. it stands out in my mind as clear as it was that day.

    the morning light. a curvy country road. windows down. leaves falling. jj heller belting from the ipod. my heart was full of gratitude for the beauty of God uninterrupted.

    thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And all the time, God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is good...For sure!

    Thank you for sharing.

    beautiful indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this post first on Bloglines. I know that time of day you described in such a way as to create the picture in my mind. Then I clicked over here to see the photo you posted.

    No photo on the page...just the one you burned into my brain. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so lovely andrea. i always love to read your words. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your poem.Sufjan's lyrics are so perfect sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a great image. you captured it so perfectly with words, no photo needed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful, gorgeous post. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i admit - i've silently enjoyed your blog for a month now and have had the best time reading and seeing here. but today...today -- this post brought me out : ) i just had to say -- you said it perfectly - it read like a poem -- and it is why I believe too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did say it perfectly!

    (by any chance did you have the song "into marvelous light" humming through your mind when you wrote this?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the time, God is good. Amen.

    ReplyDelete