12 November 2008

number 26



number 26, she is finished. by the way, a fruit loop-covered doughnut is a tricky thing to manuever. awkward, unwieldy, totally unsure of herself. I should have known this. I should have known.





over the span of the summer, I hit voodoo doughnuts a total of four different times. once at the classic downtown location (where the miami vice doughnut stole my heart) and three times at the new location just off sandy boulevard. jeffrey yamaguchi, I thought of you. voodoo doughnuts would not disappoint you.



at some point, I was introduced to the most brilliant doughnut of all time: the grape ape. covered with vanilla frosting, purple sprinkles and something akin to grape-flavored pixie stix sugar, this is not a doughnut to be taken lightly. uh, I love this doughnut. more than I'd care to admit. which is why I must closely monitor consumption. am limiting intake to twice a year only. special precautions must be taken. proactive measures. must file this under 'dangerous things'. also on this list: ridiculously cute babies. augie, for instance. too much time around that kid and I want more babies. but I digress.

the cereal-covered doughnut is all showy and stuff but the grape ape, she is something special. she is a doughnut for the 21st century. sweet and sour, slightly crunchy from all that pixie stix sugar. I'm telling you, if loving this donut is wrong I don't want to be right. and I'll thank you not to judge me right now. I'll thank you very much.

22 comments:

  1. i'd love to try that grape ape donut right about now.

    btw your home is so amazing - so unbelievably bright and cheery, and full of love and inspiration all around

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, love it!! love these posts related to your list... so fantastic. i am not so good at lists like this, feel like it's super hard to come up with things, i'm determined to though, inspires me to get going on some things.

    no judgement coming from here re the doughnuts sister... in fact, i'm planning a trip down soon and just put voodoo doughnuts on the list.... oooohhh yeah

    ReplyDelete
  3. if judging you is wrong then we're both guilty...of loving that donut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I've never been there... I'm going to have to find a special occasion, and then go. Or heck, I don't need a special occasion to eat a donut :o) I normally don't like grape flavored anything, but you made that donut sound so appealing I might just broaden my perspective a little. Hope you're dry :o)
    xox,
    Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  5. See. That's where America can still surprise. We don't have these doughnuts! And we would love to have them though. My son especially.
    Never mind. Even just looking at them kinda fills the 'buds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! love this post and oh no we never judge, not when it comes to sugary gifts from the gods. no way. i too LURVE your home tour btw. amazing collections and oh the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna have to try Voodoo. I love me some doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lord! Those just blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wrote out my 100 things I love in this world list the other day. It was a great thing to do - like saying thank you to the world for all it's beautiful things. (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right ?) Well, number 24 on my list was chocolate glazed donuts. Traditional I know, but a classically delicious none the less. How can something so bad be so very very very good. As Homer says (The cartoon character, not the Greek philosopher) "Mmmm, donuts...". ;-D

    PS - No Voodoo up here in NH but if I ever get up close to one, grape ape sounds like a donut experience of a life time !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never in my life heard of such amazing doughnut goodness! Oh, why Portland, are you so far away?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My very teeth ache from just looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I've lived in Portland for 10 years and have yet try Voodoo Donuts!
    Sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice shots. love the lavender donut.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it -- your post, doughnuts. Who doesn't love a doughnut? My Swiss husband thinks that it's ridiculous how easy it is to get a doughnut in the USA -- sadly, in Switzerland (or at least his small village) they're only available once a year. And I think where we live (Los Angeles) has the most free-standing doughnut shops in the country. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard of that grape ape donut. I know I would love it too - anything heavily artificial grape and I'm all over it - since about 1966 probably.

    Your list is a great one - very realistic - no Mt Everest? It's a great idea ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVED the fruit loop donut! When i was out in Portland visiting my college roommate, we got a box of random Voodoo Donuts. Have you been to the Chaat House? If not, you definitely need to go. It's THE best Indian food outside of India!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my gosh, love these doughnuts...so chaotically colorful

    thanks andrea for sharing the images

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so jealous... those donuts look so damn good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. have you tried the maple bar with bacon? it's perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my, amazing! i must get to portland for a sample of that wild grape ape--yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made the mistake once of buying two maple bacon bars at voodoo. I had to take a looooong break from there after that gut bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Grape Ape is my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete