08 June 2006

poppoppop


(ava at the high museum of art)

didn't have my shizz together this week. sometimes, I let things go. not because I'm busy (or even lazy), more so because I'm content. something really funny about a toddler gnawing on cold corn at six in the morning, though. ezra walking through the darkness of the house, gripping corn-on-the-cob in his tiny fists. oh, it was a moment. the house has now been stocked with the appropriate breakfast foods. also, I have been strangely tolerant of the growing piles-- piles of laundry, piles of dishes, piles of dirt (all coming to a screeching halt any moment now, I can FEEL it). the pop art self portrait felt somewhat unattainable this week, which is okay-- I enjoy rolling the ideas around in my head for a while. I am completely digging june's challenge, had great fun making this week's picks (so hard to choose, people-- so hard to narrow). the self portrait challenge has been standing in for the art class I'm so thirsty to take. I can never seem to find the right course (or time or price or location), I'm always dreaming about taking a class in photography, mixed media, drawing, painting, writing, something ANYTHING. the self portrait challenge has been less an expression of narcissism (contrary to popular belief), more a profound exercise in creativity. I am a woman who needs a little structure, an assignment, a deadline (but loose, loose strings). I need something to keep the synapses firing even when they feel like laying down and playing dead.

until my shazizzle is gathered, check out little ava-girl. an eyeful of warhol pop art, indeed. or check out pop art flavored self portraits here.

9 comments:

  1. Love the picture of Ava.

    Agreed about SPC not being an exercise in narcissism, but in creativity.

    I'm enjoying having a project on which to focus myself.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite shots of Ava. You did a great job on this one, Andrea.

    And I love that you take the SPT concept and run with it, hash it out, think it through, etc. You really devote your time and energy into it each week—it's not to be taken lightly with you. I love that.

    Can't wait to see what you do for the "pop art" challenge this month!

    love ya,
    me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that photo! Ava looks so absorbed in what she's seeing and I love that it shows up the scale of the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how you say that sometimes you let things go simply because you are content. this really strikes a chord with me today...that zen place where no validation or reporting is needed is so gratifying...no fill-up needed ~ wonderful!
    ~mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that girl and that picture of her! Thank you, Lord, for this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool pic. So did Ava like the Marilyns? I can't imagine what went through her head when she saw all those BOLD faces in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This phot make me happy. I can only imagine the rich live your children will have from being exposed to the arts and having it woven into their lives. I admire you and Ward!
    On a side note - I am so surprised that you were able to take photos in a museum! I tried it at the SFMOMA and was stopped by security!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think this is the best (non)entry i have seen so far!
    i love how she is so into checking out the art. great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the most perfect picture of ava. amazing. bravo!

    ReplyDelete