14 November 2013

etch that sketch



writing everyday is hard.

sharing images is not. I mean, the making of photographs is not always easy but I tend to hoard my work. I shoot in great fits and starts and then stash it away. I am that squirrel with a mouth full of nuts. I am ready for winter. I build up the reserves and then tap into them when I'm ready to share. the work is there when I need it.

but writing. writing is hard. because I don't store up my words. I only really let them out when they're right there on the tip of my tongue, when there's no place else for them to go. more often than not, their timing is horrible. and then there's the process. writing feels like what drawing with an etch-a-sketch feels like-- backwards forwards sideways til the whole thing sings. even then, it's not completely right but the ideas are recognizable, the intentions are true, so you celebrate anyway. before you shake that thing and start all over again.

7 comments:

  1. Amen sister! The pics are usually the easy part. Some days I sit down to write a post and it's like slogging through tar so I give up. Other days I take a break and come back later hoping the words will flow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can so relate!!
    And by the way: taking picture is not hard for me, either, but selecting a picture is hard for me, and then selecting a picture for a writing, that's not yet written... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is how I feel every. single. time. I sit down to write. back and forth and forth and back. the best is when you start writing and it just takes on a life of it's own. but that happens barely ever. usually its writing and re-writing and thinking and re-thinking. so thankful to know you share that. so encouraging to know I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have given up wondering if it'll ever get easier. always, always hard but dang. always worth it.

      Delete
  4. This is so true. Nowadays I get easily tired at writing because when I sit down and prepare to write, the ideas don't seem to form into words. It's difficult. It's hard.. I should meditate more and do yoga. Life has been stressful for me. For you, it seems wonderful with all the photos I've seen. Keep writing, I get inspired by your writings :)

    ReplyDelete