21 May 2013

the one where ava gets to go too


paris. ava is coming with me to paris

initially, this was the plan. it's what irene wanted, what ward and I wanted (well and you know it's what ava wanted) but the circumstances, they flipped and they flopped and for a while there it just didn't seem possible. though the more we thought about it, the more we talked about it, the more we realized just how important it was that she do this, how major it'd be for her to come with me-- to connect with kids from a different part of the world, to explore what it means to see the world differently. and then, paris. to experience paris, one of the greatest cities in the world. 

these are the kinds of experiences that crack a person wide open, that change you forever and even though it seemed financially impossible (and impossibly impractical), we wanted to give her this. more than anything. so we decided we'd do whatever it'd take to make it happen. and now, thanks to irene (and a few other key people), it's a done deal. still, there's a boatload of work to do. and so ava has thrown her proverbial hat in the ring. 

for a limited time, prints of her photographs will be for sale in my shop and all proceeds will go towards the cost of her end of the trip. these are images (the images you see above) that have been carefully selected by her and friends, SHE IS EXCITED. that someone might actually buy one, that someone might actually want to own one. it's been a lovely, heartbreaking sort of thing to witness and of course, my mama heart wants to burst into a thousand pieces. instead, I'll just try and hold it all together while I pass along along the necessary information:

to purchase one of ava's prints please go {here}

(local portland people, there will be an extra special opportunity for you-- more on that tomorrow)

27 comments:

  1. I can't wait to receive my order - so glad that Ava is going on an adventure and so looking forward to seeing a city I love through her (and your) eyes.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, carol! you are ava's first official order and she is OVER THE MOON! xo

      Delete
  2. sometimes I read your blog and I see photos of ava and I can't believe how cool of a person she is turning out to be. and how it feels like eons ago that she was drawing me pictures of hello kitty in sunday school class and I was forever trying to get a shy little smile out of her. I am thankful for the little bit of time I got to spend with her, knowing that she would become someone awesome, just not knowing HOW awesome. and I am thankful for the little bit of time I got to spend with you. and I am particularly thankful for this blog and the fact that we are even better friends through it. and I am ESPECIALLY thankful that she gets to go to paris with you. she likely only has distant memories of me. but this. this she will remember forever. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my friend, she remembers you so fondly (and so clearly)...! her favorite sunday school teacher, that's for sure. we are thankful for that little bit of time too. and that we found each other here on the internets. speaking of which, your new blog design looks AWESOME. xo

      Delete
  3. oh my i jumped on the record shop image, it's so lovely! ava, have a beautiful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. makes me so happy, friend! to think of her record shop print hanging in your space! (and thank you so much!) xo

      Delete
  4. so happy for this opportunity for her. and you.

    STOCK THE SHOP!
    i am adding some things to cart right now but i need to buy more than two prints!

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and ps GIANT HOORAY for making things work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. had to make it work, just had to. we are in no position (financially) to do something like this right now but it was just too good an opportunity for her. what's the point of living without these sorts of risks?

      and girrrrrrrl I know I already thanked you for your sweet order but Ima say it again: THANK YOU!

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to the day when I can say about Ava: I KNEW HER WHEN! All the way back to the days of Ava Thursdays. xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. holla!
    so excited for ava, and well, both of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. so very cool. and i went to paris with just my mom when i was in high school and it is still one of my favorite trips i've ever taken. for reals. you ladies are gonna bust it wide open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is what I want to hear! that the financial ruin will totally be worth it. ha. okay, no financial ruin. just a little bit of debt. :)

      also, thank you!

      xo

      Delete
  8. paris is the most beautiful place. the colors and light and faces and moments there are hard to find anywhere else in the world. have the greatest time! xo carrie p.s. - i bought the lovely record shop print :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carrie, I can't wait to see! the color, the light, the faces. I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait.

      and the record shop print! thank you! thrilled to pieces that you got that one!

      xo

      Delete
  9. i'm so excited for you both!!! weee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, lady! we are still not actually believing that we are going! EEP!

      Delete
  10. I'm so excited for you both. 6 years ago when I was travelling to Paris a lot for work I told my then-10-year-old niece that I would take her for her 16th birthday. We're going in the fall. I can't wait to show wonderful Paris to this fantastic kid and to experience it through her eyes. Here's to your and Ava's fantastic adventrure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, deb! and here's to your adventure with your sweet niece!

      Delete
  11. Go Ava! So happy for you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, erin! we are over the moon!

      Delete
  12. woot! i have the perfect place on my wall for the record store image. can't wait!
    what a fantastic adventure for you both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. kathleeeeeen! it was so fun to show ava your order this morning before she went to school! super thrilled to think of her record store image hanging on your sweet walls! thank you so much! love you, lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found and bought two I really liked. I hope your trip to Paris is everything you wish for.

    ReplyDelete