12 June 2012

eight


purple is his favorite color now. it used to be blue or green but it's purple now. and there are other things. he refuses to cut his hair. there are new freckles-- a generous splatter across the bridge of his nose and these new freckles, they kill me. he's a chess player, a bucket drummer, a lover of kickball. a dawdler, a writer, a voracious eater of avocados. he tests prospective pairs of tennis shoes by sprinting up and down the aisles of target. which ones make me run faster, mama? he will not stop until I've watched him. I mean, until I've really, really watched him. and I do watch but I always just pick the cute ones. all year long, we put off buying new tennis shoes and then the night before field day, there we were. it was decided that the silver and blue ones were the fastest (cutest) and he loved them so much he slept in them that night. I did not fight this. it was late and anyway, I get it. I love shoes that much sometimes too.

he's a tester of boundaries, an asker of questions, a singer of little songs. he's quick to laugh and it sounds like something to me, like something I can't name. like syrup that comes out too fast, like a pop of confetti. he will not step on cracks. this is because he genuinely does not want to break his mother's back. he's diligent about this, he will not listen to reason. this secretly pleases me. not the refusing to listen to reason part but the protective part. mostly, because I can relate. I am fiercely protective of family-- fiercely and sometimes irrationally. (there are stories but those are for another day, another time). his room is a disaster, a battle we will surely fight until the end of our days. we are swimming in legos but I can think of worse things. he's a cloud lover, a nest spotter, a fine assistant in the kitchen. we cracked eggs until he got it right and dang it if his face didn't light up like a christmas tree. cooking together will be our thing, I think.

yesterday, we celebrated eight. with breakfast in bed, star-shaped sandwiches in his lunchbox and donuts (with sprinkles) for classmates. with a trip to the park to play catch, a trip to the photobooth for a solo strip, black bean burritos for dinner and chocolate birthday cake for dessert. presents were ripped into, legos were assembled. the passing of seven was properly mourned and eight was ushered in with great enthusiasm. I do not take a second of this life with him for granted.

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, Andrea. I can't wait until my little boy is born and I get to start enjoying him as much as you do Ezra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet beautiful words that I felt go straight to my heart. What a wonderful amazing eight year old boy you have and what a wonderful awesome mother he has.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. all i can say is... i love you. and i love your love for him. and your words. and your way. love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This so full of sweetness. I love that you have this out there so that you can never forget the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet words, he is a lucky little boy to have such a loving mom. I'm a new follower to your blog and I love it so much. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so remember turning 8. There was something about that number.
    I also remember the first time I saw a photo of your little dude... I really can't believe the passing of time.

    Happy Birthday to The Ez!

    ox

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww don't make cry lady, sounds just like my Bram (he'll be eight and a half in two days) and it goes sooooo fast. Ezra sounds like a fabulous kid, i love that he won't step on cracks and i love all of your words, a mother's words of every little poetic and sentimental thing we know about our kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute to your not-so-little-anymore boy. Somewhere well down the line, the two of you will reminisce about this time and the love that followed you for all of your days together. Happy Birthday to Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so wonderful. happy birthday, ezra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful.
    Wow. I remember reading your blog when he was still on your hip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great to be eight!
    Happy days...

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so great with the words. :)
    Happy 8 little man! he sounds like a great kid.
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ezra is an amazing boy. And you are wonderful.
    And this was so perfect, mama. thank you for sharing.
    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely post. even that this age, spending a day like that sounds absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful prose, Andrea. This is a really special bit of writing...treasure it! Happy birthday to your lovely boy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks so much, everyone! really. thank you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am crying. good tears.
    i love how you love your boy. xo

    ReplyDelete