15 November 2007

refrigerator poetry

sometimes things feel scattered from the moment I wake up. I head to the kitchen to make breakfast and am instantly distracted by the refrigerator magnet poetry. I see the phrase 'shake like the black sky' and think hey, I like that. who did that? ava? ward? me? I secretly hope that I'm responsible for said prose but can't remember. which is when I start playing around with the words, moving them this way and that way until I'm all, hey what happened to breakfast?

the rest of the day unfolds like this. an ongoing series of fits and starts. I roll in many directions and there's no stopping it. I confidently attack an unsightly pile of laundry in the bedroom only to remember the library books that need to be renewed. which sends me to the computer where said library books are renewed. which is a good thing until I decide to take a quick look around the flickr scene (just a quick look) when suddenly, I find myself lost in a world of photos tagged 'rollerskating'. or I'm bookmarking photos to have made into moo cards. which is when I force myself to close the mac and snap out of it already.

then I'm boxing up halloween decorations when the kids say hey, what happened to that snack you said you were going to fix us? which sends me running for the kitchen where I spy that one butternut squash just sitting there (waiting patiently) and I think hey, soup. I should make soup. yes! soup! snacks are served and the vegetables for the soup are promptly retrieved and laid out, ready to be chopped. then I notice the dirty dishes, which is when all the unloading and loading of the dishwasher begins because no, I cannot freely chop with a mess like that hanging around, stinking up the joint, harshing my mellow. no ma'am. so not sanitary. but really, I just don't want to chop up all those vegetables. then I catch sight of the enormous pile of (still) unfolded clothes in the bedroom. which somehow leads to the beginning of a massive reorganization of the closet where I suddenly decide that the entire contents must be rearranged according to color. which, for some strange reason, makes me think of the unpaid water bill. Am completely unable to properly color-coordinate the closet until all is well and good in the land of utilities.

then I notice how suspiciously quiet the kids are which, of course, requires immediate investigation. I am surprised to find that they are up to nothing but drawing and coloring. happily. together. which I know won't last for more than four minutes so why not seize the opportunity and check a little email? though not without putting a load of laundry in first. which means a trek down to the basement where I walk past my cozy little workspace that is ever so close to being finished enough to actually work in. while I'm down there, I decide to put a couple of boxes away and before I know it, I'm looking through fat stacks of photos that date all the way back to 1993. which eventually leads to the discovery of both ava and ezra's baby books where I am horrified to discover just how unfinished they really are. which is when I promptly march back upstairs and vow to start working on the books immediately. because what could be more important than this? what, I ask you? well, dinner maybe. the soup is so obviously not even close to being done which is okay because no one really likes the butternut squash soup but me anyway. well, ward says he likes it but I think he's just saying that to be nice. really, it's a very delicious tasting soup. it's just not his thing. he'll deny this, just you wait and see, but I know the truth.

so anyway, I start to boil the water for the pasta. which is when I realize how totally exhausted I am. which wouldn't be so bad if I had something to show for it. something, anything. I have absolutely nothing to show for the day. except for the part where I served that really excellent snack. I'm just saying.

21 comments:

  1. Oh you could be me.No serious you could be.I often spend days be distracted by one job to the next and never quite getting anything finished.Only remembering about meals when I am reminded.Today I will focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds a lot like my typical day at home...minus the kids and cooking...which means I *really* have nothing to show for it. ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new reader of your lovely blog and I must say I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who has days like this! I often wonder if I have adult-onset ADD because I just cannot focus and flit from one task to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. delurking to say...yep, this is me, too. have mind, will wander. love, love, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. This is exactly how I live my life. Exactly. It's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel you, i really do. i don't have any babies yet but i sure do have days like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this...it comes frighteningly close to describing most of my days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. been there done that

    yes indeedeee...

    ReplyDelete
  9. me too! sounds just like how my days go! it's amazing I get anything done at all! i hop from project to project to cleaning to gardening to ooh, I need to go online and renew my library books also. Eeps! Glad to know I am in god company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo, girl, preaching to the choir. Why can't we be paid for surveying Flickr?

    For what's it's worth, I finally did a photobooth friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have a fabulous post to show for it...one that seems to be so universal...you're bringing us all together!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. some days are just like that, huh? you captured it and that is a creative feat in itself andrea!
    oxoox

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, that's right. it's just exactly like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. just had to chime in with a resounding 'yes'!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, you say only *some* days feel like that? hmm...i was thinking, that sums up *most* of my days :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. sometimes it actually feels like a game--live action word association! other times it feels like I'm a crazy person. With two babies, this is my everyday. Thanks for writing this, it's nice to know I"m not alone. Doing things all day that so quickly get undone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're thinking of what you wanted to do but couldn't. you're not looking at all you did do, which seems to be quite a bit, ma'am, quite a bit.

    those fridge magnets are fun. we put ours away when we got our pup, because those little words fall down without anybody noticing. but he would.

    ReplyDelete
  18. feelin' ya... my laundry's sitting on the floor in sorted piles, next to the clean dishes waiting to be unloaded from dishwasher so dirty dishes in sink can be added... came to office to get the little mesh laundry bag for washing intimates and lo and behold here i am reading blogs of people i don't even know. thankfully baby's sleeping and laundry is one of those things that can be done when he's awake (emailing's not)... yep, being a full time mom is great... someday's are more noticeably productive than others... yet the family will remember us being available, right? keep doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i SO do this jitterbug dance from one thing to the other never seeming to finish anything too. it freaks me out a little sometimes...like, um...like i annoy myself w/ how easily distracted i am.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like A.A.A.D.D. to me!

    I find myself torn between a Calvinist/Catholic guilt trip over not getting enough done, and the stealthily rebellious self who likes to 'drift' from assigned tasks now and then.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete