22 November 2007

home



and so we are here in portland for the holiday. I think maybe this is the first time in my life that I have not been with extended family on thanksgiving. and the first year that I am attempting to make the meal entirely on my own. I've chosen a very basic, very classic sort of menu and am excited to be wearing my favorite apron. I'm thrilled to have an excuse to bake pies (pumpkin and cherry), to make real mashed potatoes. though I'm afraid I might care more about how pretty the table looks rather than how well the turkey turns out. I am such an amateur. I miss the womenfolk swirling and buzzing around the kitchen. in about two hours, I will be the only one swirling and buzzing around and I think that's okay. a little lonely, but okay.

but this is good, it's the beginning of new traditions. initially, we thought maybe we'd drive down to san francisco for the holiday. because we thought maybe it'd be too strange this thanksgiving, too lonely here and a big roadtrip to an unexplored city seemed to be just the thing. ultimately, we decided against it and I'm glad. I'm glad we decided to stay home.

now if you'll excuse me, I've got some potatoes to peel.

(happy thanksgiving)

9 comments:

  1. Wishing you good luck and lots of new happy memories!
    ;o)
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy sweet andrea.
    have a great day with your family [even if it's non-extended :)]

    ReplyDelete
  3. A similar sounding day to mine...
    missing the faraway family but trying to happily initiate new traditions.
    Hope the pies turned out lovely, and hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 years ago my husband and I freshly married, decided against going anywhere for our first Thanksgiving married. We were both soooooo far away from "home". I even cried. 3 little boys later, 5 nieces and nephews, and lots of mashed potatoes and pies, we have had Thanksgiving nowhere but our home since. We host every year. Our guest list continues to grow. 28 people in my little 1700 sq. foot house today. My boys love it. I love it. New traditions are good. Embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope your day was filled with greatitud and your tummy full of good food.
    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you Thanksgiving went well and you had fun cooking and eating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful blog. beautiful apron. a perfect read for a saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute apron. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete