26 January 2007

photobooth friday


my dad (on the right) and his college pal rowdy, milwaukee, 1966

I can't tell the story like my dad. I'm not even going to try. he's the one you want sitting at your dinner table on a friday night. really-- get him going and it's better than what's playing at the local cineplex. I swear. and cheaper, too.

the particulars: one traveling college baseball team and the fine city of milwaukee. a snowed-out double header and a double breasted suit in midnight blue. the song 'hold on' by sam and dave had just come out and the guys, they were so happy. happy that they didn't have to play that double header, thrilled to death that they had the weekend all to themselves. there were nightclubs and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there were also pretty girls. of course, the double-breasted suit (in midnight blue) was worn. he doesn't remember the photobooth so much as he remembers the weekend. I love to hear him talk about it.

lucky for me, one frame survived. look at my dad, just look at him.


more to look at, more more more:

jek in the box
acumamakiki
jördis
mati rose
matt!?
bobby s
maraid design

6 comments:

  1. From the look on pal rowdy's face, I'd say there were *definitely* pretty girls involved.

    What an amazingly wonderful gift you have in this picture: a glimpse of your dad young and carefree. It's a beautiful picture.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, great smiles - what a wonderful piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looove hearing about your parents -- they sound like such wonderful people and it warms my heart that you appreciate them so much. You know, I've always thought that the old pictures of your mom look so much like you, but I can definitely see you in your dad here. What a looker! What a suit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What terrific smile-eye crinckles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic! I can see the family resemblance!

    ReplyDelete