15 March 2011

letterpress, friends



two memories come roaring into focus when I think of my maternal grandfather-- the time I tap danced for him in white plastic dime store sandals and the image of him hard at work in the back room of his printing shop. the rest is as mysterious to me as the massive printing presses we often tiptoed around when we visited him at work.

I was seven when he died. eventually, my grandma was forced to sell the business, equipment and all. I remember the last time we stood in the shop, how it still smelled the way it did all those times we visited-- sharp, like paper and ink, like hard work and long nights. my grandma opened a long, slender wooden drawer (one of what seemed like hundreds) and told us to pick a few pieces of type out. go ahead, she said. something to remember your grandpa by. I was too young to appreciate the significance behind the gesture but I reached in and chose a few pieces anyway. a lowercase letter 'a' and a rose. they were small but heavy in my hand and left faint charcoal smudges on the pink of my palm.

letterpress: tis the subject of my latest covet column in issue eight of UPPERCASE, an issue solely devoted to the art of letterpress. gorgeous, I tell you. every last letterpress-loving page. as always, I'm honored to be a contributor.

I do believe my grandpa would be proud.

13 comments:

  1. what a beautiful memory and tribute too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww! What a sweet memory. :-] Congrats on the article. Sounds like the perfect contribution for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story and the perfect photograph to accompany...I seriously love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing tribute to your granpa. Really sweet memory as well. I've been meaning to subscribe to this magazine for some time. Perhaps it's time. I really appreciate the work that goes in to letterpress. We are using letterpress for our wedding invitations, although it's expensive it's well worth it. Congrats lady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story and memory. Thank you for sharing that. I have just a few things from my Nana and Pop, and I treasure every one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think he'd be proud too. :) i'm a sucker for certain things...clever typography and dilapidated typewriters and musty, old books.
    i can't wait to read your article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for this. will take a look at the magazine. love letterpress. love the fact you were invited to choose something. what would you choose today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Letterpress is truly a lovely medium. The type blocks are so tactile and graphic they make me swoon. = )

    ReplyDelete
  9. i find it's those memories where your mind is filled with every sense that bring up the best feelings. i need this magazine. must try to get my hands on it soon. thanks for sharing. there's always a feel good thought associated with my grandfathers and their crafts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. This (bitter)sweet memorial must be on the minds of many. One of my other favorite blogs is featuring a similar writing/art challenge regarding an item you have inherited or wish to inherit. I think I shall write my blog entry for the day about my grandmother and the 3 items I was "allowed" to take. See their post here: http://creativetherapy.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/catalyst-one-hundred-and-twenty-nine/

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for this (and hello). I had to comment--I come from a long line of printers... my grandfather and father both. my grandfather passed away a year ago this month, so he has been on my mind--and my parents are still at it with their shop. yes: the smells, the sounds. and of course it's all different and digital now, and no I did not appreciate it as I was growing up. but I am glad now, and in awe of their work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this memory of yours.
    happy friday, friend.
    and congrats!! ; )
    xo

    ReplyDelete