22 February 2011

he is

he is

one of my favorite people to photograph. that friend of mine, that dan smith.

last week found me on a shoot with my brother-- first to atlanta to an abandoned trainyard off dekalb avenue and then to the outer edges of a crumbly ghostly town in southern illinois. I love my job. even though it occasionally takes me away from my family, I love my job. I love the brainstorming of ideas, the researching of locations. I love the styling, the working out of the details, the finessing of story lines. but mostly, I love working with my brother.

so anyway, dan was at the trainyard in atlanta with us and there was a little bit of 600 polaroid film (such a sad little bit) and a smidge of magic light and if nothing else ever even came out of the shoot but this polaroid, well then I'd still be happy. because polaroid portraits like these make my world go round and round and round.

I do have more to share, so much more.

14 comments:

  1. we need to speak very soon about Dan... and how while you were readying this post, the ladies of our weekend were watching the unreleased video and reveling in Dan and Nate's work... and how I am 99% decided that a line from that song will be tattooed on my arm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. your brilliance is unmatched.

    love,
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I pretty much wish all my photos could look like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever taken a bad photograph?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a great time. :) my brother and i are very close also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like my kind of shoot - i need to explore atlanta more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great portrait, certainly looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should definitely think about posting a mini sx-70 tutorial on your blog. no one takes photos like you...but I think we would all like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my word.
    dan.
    i LOVE listener and i also LOVE your brother's stunning work. y'all are some talented kids ;)

    hope you are having a beautiful and inspiring week!
    xo

    ReplyDelete