28 November 2006

self portrait #38


(click on drawing for special notes)

for the last glam self portrait, I was all set to take on the shoe project. that is, until I found this drawing while going through The Magical Childhood Boxes. lookit people, it doesn't get any better than this. my idea of glam as a 9 year-old girl! please note: the heavy make-up (tammy faye bakker-style eyes, yo), the funky (as in, won't-you-take-me-to-FUNKEEE-TOOOWN) little beret, the strappy sandals, the disco ball-- it's all there. oh yes, it's all there. and that skinny belt, which I just KNOW was meant to be a slinky little metallic gold number. I know because I had one. I bought it at wal-mart and remember how I couldn't believe I'd found such a cool belt at my small town wal-mart. but the funniest detail (and perhaps the most troubling)-- cigarette in one hand, cocktail in the other.

my parents must've been so proud.

(the last of the november glam self portraits are here)

15 comments:

  1. That is hysterical!
    I really can't believe that you have this drawing. So amazing. And the cocktail and cigarette?
    Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. je l'adore. i love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fabulous that you still have that drawing! I love it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the BEST self portrait eve-a! I especially love the scarf blowing straight out, because she's been dancing all night. The disco ball, genious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the BEST self portrait eve-a! I especially love the scarf blowing straight out, because she's been dancing all night. The disco ball, genious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wonderful Andrea! Very Glam! Perfect. I may have to send you a SASE for that cape. I'm here in Chatty and have no long trips planned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE it... that's the best damn glamorous drawing from 1980 i have ever seen. look at all that potential and imagination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! I am sad that you didn't take on the shoe project, however this does top all and makes up for it ten-fold.
    awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so dang perfect! glam to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  10. please (with a cherry on top) go forth with the shoe project.
    you are so lucky to have your own kidart - :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you even know about cigs and cocktails?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Disco ball? Oh, that's good. That is so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. all the ladies i drew growing up had cigarettes and cocktails, too. a model i put into practice in between marriages, pairings that both had more than a little to do with strappy sandals.

    ReplyDelete