16 November 2010

number 33

the show!

number 33 off the list and I still can't believe I had a show. er, am having a show (built like this is still up at arkay workshop in san francisco and will be through december 31st).

'tis a strange thing to publicly show your work. furthermore, to invite people to come look at this work. to say HEY, I TOOK THESE PHOTOGRAPHS AND THEY MEAN SOMETHING. PLEASE COME LOOK AT THEM. I don't know if I've ever felt more vulnerable. or more excited. the whole thing is all sort of a lovely blur now-- not unlike a wedding day. all the planning and anticipation and nervousness and then the whole thing is over in a flash. and afterwards, the elation and head spinning and you're just so glad you did it but what actually happened? who was there? was the show even any good? did you look okay? did you sound okay? did you talk to everyone? did you thank everyone? and did someone remember to take pictures?

cupcakes!

I did not actually remember to take pictures. I mean, I took a few pictures but they're mostly crap. except for maybe this one of ava and the cupcakes. I really love that my family was there, that my kids were there. ezra may not remember it twenty years from now but ava will. and I love that my husband was there to keep my head from spinning out of control, to help hang the show, to remember little things-- things like setting aside a cupcake for me for afterwards. a red velvet cupcake, at that. I really sort of love that guy.

hey

there are a few random pictures but nothing that comes close to capturing what the night actually was. all the people that came out, the lovely lovely people. I would have been over the moon had a handful showed up but for two solid hours, the place was packed-- with more people than I could wrap my brain around. close friends and online folks, a sweet someone from high school who I had not seen in 21 years, people from the neighborhood who wandered in from off the street. and what a street it was-- 24th in the mission is fully alive and electric with color and character. the whole show is about sense of place and I could not think of a better place for this show to be, I could not think of a better street, a better neighborhood, I could not.

it was a good night

thank you, everyone-- for everything. thanks to mati, the magic person who made it happen, to rachel and arkay workshop for lending the walls and making the opening extra awesome. thanks for all the kind words and encouragement that were left here or sent my way, thanks to jan and victoria and everyone else for spreading the word. thanks to all who came out to the show, who braved friday night traffic and parking (and whatever else) to be there, to all who wanted to be there but for whatever reason, could not. thanks to all who bought a print or two, to kristine for the fresh flowers and to jen for the sweet handmade loveliness. thanks to leslie and riley for their general awesomeness. and extra special thanks to ward and ava and ezra for getting in the car and driving down to san francisco with me to do this thing. and for holding my hand the entire time.

it was a good night. a really really good night.

27 comments:

  1. a very good night indeed. was so thrilled to finally meet in person - & am beyond thrilled that i am getting to see you more in the future :) yes i am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! Congratulations! I'm so not surprised it was packed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea, I wish I was there! Really. All I can say is that I am so happy for you! I am sure this has been a great night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sigh - a great night and well deserved my talented beautiful friend!

    I got a few photos - wish there were more - that I'll put up on my flickr tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how lovely.
    and how proud you must feel! every pore oozing "i did it!"
    you rock so much. you really really really do.

    and i wish san francisco were closer.
    and i wish that baltimore weren't on the whole other coast.

    xo congratulations, rockstar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy it went so well. I love your work and have been following your blog for quite some time. Long before I ever had a blog. A lot of your photos and projects are so nostalgic for me. (I use to go to the movies with my dad every Sunday and we'd sometimes take photobooth photos). My family was big into Polaroids as well. I can feel how vibrant your spirit feels through this post. Much love to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your show!
    I would have loved to see some of your images in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm doing a goal list like this as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats! what a fantastic accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations from the other side of the globe - that is one huge and special achievement to cross of your list. How exciting x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just adored meeting you. And also loved bringing home a couple of your lovely prints. Come again soon?

    (I've got a couple of shots from outside from that night... I'll email...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. was a great show, and so much fun to hang out with you, and your lovely brood. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, you must be really really proud of yourself. It looks like a fab time was had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Number 33 was a doozy. Congratulations. I just wish I could have seen it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i barely know you, but i feel like we could be best friends, and this makes me happy to see. I SO wish i could have been there, and if i had the funds, i would have bought the show out. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work, and you deserve every bit of this. What a great family you have to go there and support you (and what a great husband you have to save you a cupcake) ;). you have been a huge inspiration to me ever since i saw your photos on flickr and you're always so welcoming with your comments. Congrat's again on this awesome accomplishment, you ROCK girl!

    p.s. that picture of Ava is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the awesome show and on getting to cross another thing off your list! I was out of town or would have been there for sure!

    But, I'm super looking forward to meeting you at the JOY retreat in the Spring! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!! SO happy to hear everything was beyond what you imagined and the place was packed. I know that is always my fear - to have no one show up! Love that photo with the cupcakes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got a big smile and a warm heart knowing how well the opening went. It's always good to see you - even if for ten minutes at an insanely busy market. Hopefully there will be more run-ins soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey thanks, everyone. seriously. your kind comments, they mean the world to me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. really wish i could have been there... i understand very well the vulnerability that comes with showing your work... congratulations xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. congratulations! wish i had a chance at checking out the premiere + meet. i am in california so i will pay a visit to the gallery before it leaves at the end of december.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds amazing! Wish I could have been there-I love your work!

    Three cheers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats that is very cool. You must feel so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will echo here what so many have already said,

    Wish I could've been there.

    Blessings to you, you amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  25. was good fun, A. and fun to meet you for reals, too.

    ReplyDelete