24 June 2010

number 22



on the first day of summer, we built a tiny snowman. 'tis true. number 22 off the list and crater lake is one of those places in the world that needs to be seen to be believed. wide open skies and water so miraculously blue it does not seem real. I must admit, I was not expecting the snow. and I was not expecting warm summer weather on top of all the snow, but that's exactly how it was. feet buried deep in snow, bare arms warmed by summer sun.



I'll tell you, there's no better way to start the summer off than with a road trip.



we like the driving, the seeing. also, hotels with swimming pools? we are big fans.



dear oregonians, do not miss petersen rock gardens. because when an immigrant farmer devotes eighteen years of his life to building castles and bridges and miniature houses out of stones, you sort of need to see it.



four acres of things built with stones! also, there were peacocks. live peacocks roaming the grounds, calling out to one another in that high-pitched loon-like way. it's possible there were more peacocks than people.



roadside america? FULL OF WIN.



honestly, it felt as if we fit five days worth of road trip into two, like we hit some sort of road trip jackpot. summer 2010, we are not kidding around about you. summer 2010, we are serious about making you awesome.

20 comments:

  1. oooh fun pics. are those really all Polaroids? i'm fascinated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! and yes-- every last one, a polaroid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a blast! we're off for our first summer road trip next weekend - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were *just* talking about our next roadtrip - when/where to go. Peterson Rock Gardens are now part of the itinerary....

    ReplyDelete
  5. will you adopt me?!?
    Seriously.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. You've already inspired me with the instant film love, now I have to go to Crater Lake before the summer is over. Road trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so awesome, love love love road trips and all the road marks along the way AND hotels with pools - gotta love them!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. ummm you kinda rock at road trips...

    ReplyDelete
  9. was in oregon for the first time just a few weeks ago- on the coast- seal rock. oh, it was lovely. i can't wait to return! i already miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are so freaking divine!! It's been a while since my last road trip. Must remedy that!
    Thanks for sharing ~ I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is like the best post ever. those photos are ridiculously awesome. and that rock garden looks terrific... my friend is on a road trip in Oregon right now and i texted him that he must go there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fun! One of the reasons I love your blog is reading all the great places you go, and then planning to go there too when I finish school. You're like the best internetty tourguide ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. snow in summer, huh? so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh fiddle! we are in oregon on the college search tour 2010 and we ALMOST went to Crater Lake, but bypassed it for two days camping near Mt. Rainier, instead (which I hear is still getting snow these days! yikes!). Guess I'll have to return to Oregon soon!!! What's a girl to do?!
    (P.S. I heart Portland)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What day were you at Crater Lake. I just got back from a road trip, was at the Lake Friday and Saturday nights :)

    It was so beautiful and they said that was the first time in a while that the sun had been shining up there. We were so lucky :) T.

    P.S. Nice snowman :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is ...I want to be there...Love the polaroids...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was in central Oregon this morning and almost drove home a different way, specifically to take photos at Peterson's. I wish that I had!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pictures are magical! I was in a thrift store the other day and the young girls were buying all of the vintage polarid cameras. My daughter did the same, bought one and thinks she living in the 70's now. They do have a quality all of their own.

    Love your blog! I just found it from an interview of Alicia...she said your blog was inspirational and I so agree!
    Candylei

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up half an hour away from Petersen Rock Gardens and I've never been. I shall have to remedy that immediately.

    PS. Just found your blog. New fun blogs are great but new fun blogs from Portlanders/Oregonians are so exciting!

    ReplyDelete