17 December 2006

put the lights on the tree



james brown christmas music, furry red slippers, the smell of a fresh christmas tree in the house, trips to the attic to hide presents, more apron-wearing than usual, glitter all over the place, googly-eye glasses for everyone, handmade pompom garlands, the charlie brown christmas special, ezra's obsession with finding buzz, neighborhood houses that go crazy over-the-top with lights, sufjan stevens' video (thank you dear meridith, for sharing), nails painted red with green polka dots, the promise of an easy-bake oven (I want one almost as badly as ava does), jars of maraschino cherries in the refrigerator, the smell of sugar cookies baking and the inevitability of messy, icing-covered hands, faces and clothing (and um, sprinkles in your hair), our christmas fun jar, family coming to town, the sacred story of the birth of jesus, nothing but the christmas tree lights on in the house.

15 comments:

  1. And that is truly the meaning of Christmas!

    Happy Holidays!

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooooooo good! would love to spend time at your house for christmas! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's nothing better than just christmas tree lights on. i want to be at your house for the holidays.

    ps. the booth at manhattan mall is working again. i knew it was fixed when i saw the graffiti was painted over, sorta sad but at least the strippys aren't black anymore!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! And yes, isn't the Sufjan video/song fun? I'm so happy (gloating a bit, really) that I was able to get my mitts on his Christmas set--I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the jar is a really nice christmas activity, thanks for the idea.
    and yes, just the tree lights on is magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to read one of your short stories--your posts and photos make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your blog and your pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear Andrea, only YOU could write a list and make it magical. You've got special writing powers. That's why your blog is one of my most favorites.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, you make the holidays worth it. I know it's a ton of work, but you certainly make it worthwhile for the kiddies and me. Just letting you know that all your holiday sweating and toiling isn't going unnoticed.

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm feeling more in the xmas spirit after reading this than I have all month. I love your lists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want to come over!

    feliz navidad and happy solstice to you and your gorgeous family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh the promise of an easybake oven! i've been asking for one for years!

    ReplyDelete