09 December 2015

any minute now



I have not put up the first christmas decoration. not one. wait, I take that back-- last monday, I hung a wreath on the front door, the one my mom gave me nearly a decade ago, the one that reminds of the one she used to hang on her front door every single year. from the outside, we look pretty merry. on the inside, we are not. well, not yet.

it's not for lack of desire. the truth is I've been buried with work, which is not necessarily something to complain about when you're freelance. happy to have the work, begging for the work (always) but it's the middle of december and there's no tree in this here house. no sap to pinch off the ends of branches, no tangles of string lights. the christmas records haven't even been brought out, the little forest does not yet live on the mantle. in fact, the closest we've come to christmas spirit around here happened sunday night, when we finally told ezra the buzz lightyear story. I couldn't believe, he'd never heard it. and for the first time (maybe ever), I read something aloud from my blog to him-- a story I'd written about him. friends, it was a good moment, one I'll always remember. the way he smiled as I read it to him, the questions he asked afterwards, the way we laughed and laughed. frankly, I wonder what my kids will think about the things I've written about them here. I wonder what our conversations will sound like once they go digging through the archives, especially during those early years, when they were littles, when they were my entire world and I was theirs, when raising them absolutely consumed me. and it still does, but it's different now.

the shift is coming, I can feel it. the spirit is about to hit this house hard. the christmas records are calling, all the way from their musty corner in the garage, the little trees are crying for the mantle. our tree is out there somewhere, waiting for us to bring it home.

today. today is the day.

4 comments:

  1. I love that story and this story with Ezra so much! Last night I thought, "I'm not Christmasing at all; and before I know it, it will be January and it will be gone." Fast forward to today...my coworker brought in eggnog. I put some in my coffee. 10 minutes later I had Nat King Cole on at my desk, Christmas lights pulled out of my drawer, and it feels GOOD. I think it just takes one thing, in my case eggnog flavored coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's january and it's all gone now. but I love reading about how it started for you, I love thinking back on the season. xo

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to get into the christmas spirit. We are moving house on Saturday so none of our christmas stuff is out and we have no tree yet. Probably won't be up this year until the start of Christmas this year. I. Looking forward to getting into the christmas spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh goodness, moving this time of year is hard... but exciting, yeah? hope it all went well!

      Delete