15 April 2013

instant oasis, part one







one: the saguaro. two: sweet audrey and the awesome bathing suit. three: back lot of the ace. four: sweet meredith. five: sweet kristin. six: more saguaro.

so, back in october, I did a little teaching at the shutter sisters oasis gathering in palm springs. the truth is that I wasn't sure I was up for it. but I went anyway and I'll tell you, it was maybe the best thing. to throw myself into something, something that had nothing to do with cancer or the planning of a funeral. to pack a few bags and plan a few workshops. to step off a plane into bone dry heat and eternal sunshine. to wander the grounds of the ace, the color hotel, the streets of palm springs. and to finally meet friends I'd connected with for so long on the internets-- kristin, xanthe, meredith (and more, so many more). all as lovely in person as you might think. as always, the folks at the impossible project went above and beyond, supplying fat stacks of film for my workshops and goodies to give away. I like those guys. I really, really like those guys. 

I would be remiss if I did not mention the hard pieces. the sleepless chunks of night when grief practically swallowed me whole. which is when I'd wander outside where there were stars, always stars. and during the day, sunshine, always sunshine. and so the grief was always there but so were these things too. 

14 comments:

  1. praise jesus for the impossible project.
    i love that swimsuit capture and dang it, i need the ace in my life at once.

    grief is so beautifully difficult. so very important. it's how we keep from getting stuck in the sadness. grief is our friend. i'm glad you have stars and sunshine. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, friend. praise jesus indeed. psalms 34:18 says he is close to brokenhearted, rescues those who are crushed in spirit. oh how I cling to this. xo

      Delete
  2. so beautiful. and such lovely portraits of some wonderful ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, jodi! lovely portraits come easy when subjects are as such. hoping I'll get to take your pola portrait one of these days...? xo

      Delete
    2. i sure hope so. any plans for NYC in the near future??

      Delete
    3. well, I was really hoping to bring ava this summer but I don't think that's going to happen. always scheming, though. ALWAYS. SCHEMING.

      Delete
  3. lovely. you always capture the soul of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank ye kindly, lady. that's quite the compliment. xo

      Delete
  4. I love them all! Very California :) I would love to come to a girly photography workshop someday and meet you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, laney! would love love love to meet you one of these days! (even better if it's at a girly photography workshop) xo

      Delete
  5. how much do i love the serendipity that i have a photo i took on my cell phone of those exact two doors? and you having a polaroid that you took last year, maybe even standing in the same place i was...(i was leaning against y car).

    because we stayed in room 142...how i love that. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what! that's crazy! yup, bet we stood in the exact same place! I LOVE THAT. xo

      Delete