07 May 2010
day four and list fourteen: why I will love polaroid forever and ever amen
whereupon I refrain from overusing the word 'magic':
1. because it taught me to slow down already.
2. because I die for the colors. every time. I die.
3. because press that little red button and anything can happen.
4. because the SX-70 camera is a thing of beauty.
5. because the automatic 100, also exquisite.
6. because just when I think I've got a handle on all the different kinds of polaroid cameras out there, I stumble onto one I've never seen or heard of before. thank goodness for the land list.
7. because peel apart film is cool. also, it makes me feel important.
8. because the zip and whirrr sound the SX-70 makes as it shoots the picture out is the most spectacular sound. unofficially speaking.
9. because truly, it has transformed the way I frame and compose.
10. because show a polaroid camera to a group of kids and they will look at you like you've just come from the moon.
11. because a polaroid sky is a sky like no other.
12. because I look at light now with completely different eyes.
13. because there's nothing in the world like the moment that image slowly appears. it's magic.
(fourteen down, thirty-eight to go)
(meanwhile, 'roid week continues)