I'm not going to lie. this is a really long list. go ahead, scroll down. it just keeps going and going. and going. but this is what I like to do. around this time of year, I like to put together a different kind of list. I like to throw a little party for the unexpected and you are cordially invited to attend. because sometimes the best things are the ones that slip in through the back door. for one reason or another, this is how my 39th year went down. it was a big year, maybe the biggest ever. I traveled to twelve different cities in ten different states. I experienced what felt like a hundred firsts. if ever there was a year to celebrate unpredictablity, this would be it. I'm telling you, my 39th year was a force to be reckoned with. my 39th year was not kidding around.
this year, I:
1. photographed a tulsa sky.
2. found myself on a warm beach in south texas in the middle of february.
3. walked halfway across the brooklyn bridge at night.
4. watched ava take her first ballet class. and cried.
5. discussed motherhood with my best friend over chocolate cake.
6. hit the vintage brooch motherload at olga's house of stuff.
7. became a regular contributor for a beautiful publication.
8. visited disney world. for the first time ever.
9. taught my first photography workshop.
10. had my fortune told at the 24 hour church of elvis.
11. fell in love with armenian baklava.
12. rode a clown bike through the streets of queens.
13. swam in the warm waters of the atlantic ocean.
14. stumbled onto a sea of red lanterns.
15. shared a cherry-dipped ice cream cone with my brother on the last day of summer.
16. planted a little garden of wildflowers that took over and grew beyond my wildest expectations.
17. photographed the wedding of one of my favorite women in the whole world.
18. threw a penny in the fountain at fellini's on ponce.
19. collaborated with the man behind dustbrand films.
20. scored ava an awesome old banana seat bike at a church basement sale.
21. traveled down a small section of historic route 66.
22. fell in love with an installation.
23. brought home a pack of candy cigarettes and the world's smallest deck of cards from archie mcphee's.
24. dangled my feet over the edge of a quiet dock.
25. photographed 23 third graders.
26. spent an entire day alone at one of my favorite places in the world.
27. had my polaroid portrait taken by an amazing polaroid photographer.
28. became a regular contributor for one of my favorite blogs.
29. put together the wall of sunshine.
30. found great solace in the rainbow that appeared just moments after a tornado touched down a few miles south of our florida hotel room.
31. was published in one book, one zine and a few very stellar magazines.
32. wandered through chinatown with leslie.
33. had a polaroid show at my church.
34. contributed to the delinquency of a few juveniles at a party for hannah.
35. realized that pretty much everything tastes better when eaten on an old yellow school bus. especially grilled cheese sandwiches.
36. photographed dan aka listener.
37. spent a morning up on the roof of my brother's building. stood silent while trains sang in the distance, looked out over the rooftops of queens, swooned over a miniature manhattan skyline.
38. watched my mom dance with my grandma.
39. lost myself in a rainbow of mexican wrestling masks and tiny guitars at san antonio's el mercado.
40. learned how to turn a head lamp into a disco light while navigating pitch dark wooded paths.
41. meandered down the aisles of the alameda fleamarket and came home with a vintage suitcase full of happy.
42. lounged with jen in the living room of her brooklyn apartment.
43. watched quietly as my dad waded out into the pacific ocean.
44. held my best friend's newborn baby girl in my arms. a child I am sure to spoil mercilessly for decades to come.
45. photographed jon the originator.
46. purchased a sweet little camera.
47. stood high above the golden gate bridge.
48. and then way down below it.
49. watched ava and ezra catch their first fish.
50. found myself at karen's house on a sunday morning. feasted on pancakes while marcus and alex charmed me into a sweet oblivion.
51. ran my fingers over a piece of guerilla knitting downtown portland.
52. beamed with pride at my husband's first book signing.
53. shared a deep-fried avocado with my brother while a 17-piece mariachi band rocked the house.
54. had a meaningful conversation with a man on a new york subway.
55. walked the streets of the mission with mati.
56. spent a morning alone at a deserted carnival.
57. found the equivalent to ruby red slippers.
58. woke up to a window full of bridge magic.
59. laid in the hammock in the backyard and saw my first shooting star.