20 October 2009

what I'm trying to say is



it felt good to teach again. really really good. that's the long and the short of it. I slipped back into a place so familiar it felt as if I never really left. after sixteen years of teaching, I wondered when (or if) I'd ever make my way back. as it turns out, squam was just the place. through the viewfinder was just the class.



and it helps if you have students who are all kinds of willing and open. this is what you really want people to bring to class. notebooks and pencils are good but willing and open? better.



also, props. props are important. it cost me a fortune in extra baggage fees but I do not regret schlepping the yellow parasol, the box of paper straws, the two dozen rainbow bouncy balls, the six bottles of bubbles, several giant pink balloons and countless fakes mustaches across the country. I do not. because bright-colored props make people with cameras happy.







but my favorite part? seeing all those old cameras and newly-constructed contraptions in action. all wonky and bazooka-like. heads bowed, cameras aiming, bodies roaming. the sweetest army, really. my kind of army. to all my squam ttv peeps, thank you. pretty sure you were the best classes ever. and to elizabeth (extraordinary founder of squam), thank you. none of this would exist without you.

(checkit: the squam ttv flickr group)

20 comments:

  1. what a wonderful workshop to teach ... i've only recently discovered ttv & the idea of someone going through it all with me is fantastic. glad you loved it as much as i'm sure your class did. & the yellow pencils are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do very much wish I'd been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what i'm trying to say is you are an awesome lady. yes it's true. don't even try to deny it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so excited for you!
    your students are luckyducky. for sure.

    and alicia paulson? man. i love her! can you pack ME in your suitcase next time? lol

    love reading your post every day. i am going to attempt it in november...we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you had a wonderful time... reconnecting is a good thing :) i wish i could take part in your next retreat... it sounds like fun.

    love your blog and your new banner looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you were wonderful and so easy, me being a not so skilled measurer, or cutter or all the things you need to be to make a "contraption" but you made it easy and for that I am so grateful ~ loved everything! thank you for showing up and being there to "teach" xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the sense of joy that comes from your post here - the joy of teaching and discovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, what a fantastic looking class! I adore those pictures of your props. well worth the struggle and extra hassles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is the sweetest looking set of soldiers you have there.

    you rock, I wish I would have been able to make it to your class. You know I love me some TtV.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great workshop. I've really interested in ttv lately. I think I'll read your original post and try it out! Maybe I'll even make it up the coast for the February retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had a dream about you last night. i spotted you among this crowd, and you recognized me somehow too! how exciting, i know. i love this entry of yours. what i'm trying to say is that you brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I may need to make a future workshop with you happen....sounds fabulous, and need to totally get a twin lens reflex in my arsenal. Sounds like SAW was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're the best! teaching is your thing. I hope to be an eager student of yours again some day. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Id love to have been in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I would have loved that workshop! It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats the coolest army (and army attire) ive ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for being the inspiration for a new winter project.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that last shot is brilliant! love to see all those 'contraptions' like that! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh lucky, lucky them. Something to dream on...

    ReplyDelete
  20. The best part about this post, is the last picture where the students are clearly dressed like stage hobo's or orphans from a production of Annie. hehe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete