23 October 2007

beautiful book week



yes, abby. what a lovely idea: beautiful book week, the week of the beautiful book. I am enthusiastically on board. that said, I've just finished reading astrid and veronika by linda olsson. which is, by very definition, an incredibly beautiful book. a passage I really really love:

It is in the nature of things to change. Nothing can last beyond its given time. And I think instinctively we know what time that is. What is it that makes us know when the summer turns? The smallest shift in the light? The slightest hint of chill in the morning air? A certain rustling of the leaves of the birches? That is how it is-- suddenly, in the midst of the summer heat, you are overcome by a tightening of your heart. The realisation that it will all come to an end. And that brings a new intensity to everything: the colours, the smells, the feeling of sunshine on your arm.


please do feel free to participate. or share your beautiful books here with me. I would absolutely love that.

11 comments:

  1. the sixteen pleasures by robert hellenga. it makes my heart go pitter patter. and my aunt was un angelo del fango which makes the book that much more special to me... it is truly a beautiful book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the prodigal summer by barbara kingsolver, a beautiful green book about some kinds of love that hide away in the smaller pockets of our hearts

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, that passage so captures how i've been feeling lately. i was just writing about this feeling i keep experiencing lately, that my heart swells with joy and sadness when i think of things that no longer are and will never be--like when my son was a tiny baby fresh from the womb; or listening to a mix tape of punk bands from the town i where i went to college in the early-mid 90s. thanks for sharing. i love the beautiful book idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you gals always have such fun projects
    going on... i love it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read that book too, but in Swedish, it was wonderful.
    On the inside of my cover it says that the English version is called "Let me sing you gentle songs", isn't that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!
    I got this at the library last month and spaced on it before I had to give it back. I tried to renew it, but it was on hold. I so need to check it out again!
    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved astrid and veronica. how it made me *feel* the warmth and coolness of the changing seasons. what a wonderful story...and the cover...just as beautiful. i'm a sucker for a pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've just finished this book too! i found it in a second-hand book store in Bali and had finished it by the next day. it was a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ***sigh***what a beautiful passage. yeah for beautiful books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just finished reading this lovely book a few months ago and have the same passage marked...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came across this blog through our shared interest of Red Velvet cake. I love this idea, "Beautiful Book Week"! I am reading "The Emperor's Children" right now which is heartbreakingly true at certain moments.

    ReplyDelete