13 July 2007

friday: orange



friday is orange is juicy is friday. I mean, friday is juicy like the color orange is juicy-- alive and expectant, all set to pop. at least, that's how I feel about friday. and anytime the color orange is involved.



me and orange, we go way back. I think I was something like six when I decided I liked the color orange. we were cruising through town in our enormous brown stationwagon. the carpenters were playing on the radio (naturally) and the windows were rolled down. I was doing something with my hands and the wind (funny, the little things you remember). and I was thinking about oranges, about how pleasing the shape of an orange was, how sweet they tasted and how convenient it was that they could be pulled apart into neat little sections. I was also attracted to the cold, pitted texture of the skin and the way the scent stained my fingers for hours afterwards. I like the color orange, I thought to myself. orange is officially my favorite color. and I was relieved that this matter was finally resolved because adults were all the time asking me for my favorite color and what was that all about anyway? well, now I had my color and my reasons and I could answer without hesitation and with genuine conviction.



a year or so later, I got into it with my grandma because she tried to tell me that my favorite doll's hair color was actually red, not orange. red!? that's crazy talk, grandma. you've gone kooky in the head. it's orange. ORANGE. I'm looking at the doll's head and I see orange. are you blind? round and round and round we went like that. technically, that doll's hair was orange but I didn't know that people with orange hair were called redheads. it made absolutely no sense to my 7 year-old way of thinking and I refused to accept it as truth. I felt compelled to protect my color of choice. plus, I didn't really want to be wrong about this. shortly after, I started calling people with red hair 'orangeheads', desperately hoping it would catch on. it did not.



anyway. me and orange, we're tight.

p.s. no photobooth friday today. just the orange. I think next week is going to be a big week for photobooth friday. details on that later.

30 comments:

  1. juicy is right! love the photos!
    and you're right...red hair is not red. it is orange. isn't it funny that we don't call it orange?
    hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post. i love that you can remember all the details of the beginning of your love affair with orange. i love the pics. i'll be putting some orange up later on today too. i especially love those glasses! we are going thrifting & yardsale-ing tomorrow and i am now inspired to look for orange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always wanted to be orangeheaded when i was little. i thought they were the prettiest. way better than plain ole' brown. orange is so juicy!! hip hip for friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hail to our favorite color: ORANGE! i think it is my favorite as well. my mother is dutch and orange is the official color of Holland. can't wait to post MY photos. happy friday too! and i was thinking how we should already plan for another summer blog project. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!
    my day just got a whole lot brighter :-)
    i have to say it again...WOW!!!
    thanks for popping by my little corner of cyberspace last night...it really meant a lot :-)
    have a great day, andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was younger I didn't like orange.. but now I love it, it bursts life :) these photos were extra juicy :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang! If I could only remember all of those details--I love your writing Andrea: your stories, your passion, your creativity, your exuberance--I have been "blurking" the last few months, and can't wait to sign up for the next postcard swap...so grateful for your site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, nothing could make a Friday more glorious than beautiful vibrant photos and a great story from you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some marvelous, juicy photos, and I loved the story. I had a lot of fun choosing photos for today's color -- just love those nice big blocks of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing this color week hostessing bit PROUD! I'm going to eat the orange that is sitting in my fridge right now - you totally talked me into it :)


    (p.s. I miss you - we talk soon, yes?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love orange!!!
    aww, shucks and i actually did a photobooth post today;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i know i've already commented once today...but i find myself drawn over and over back to my screen to look at these glorious colours.
    this week has totally changed how i look at the world and how going forward, i will photograph it...i'm really going to miss colour week :-( ...maybe i'll have to join in on PBF & SPC.
    it's cool and very wet here today...thanks again for brightening things up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your photos! I wish the term "orangehead" had caught on because it's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with Stella! Happy Friday! Have a good weekend. I am enjoying this colour week so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello. i was just clickin around through orangette and huffmania and then found you and i must admit that i share your love for the color orange. my last apartment was painted orange even. i love that picture of the orange car. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Orange was the whole reason that I decided to do colour week. Thanks for the inspiration, Miss. Your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love my orangeheads!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay -- a fellow orange lover. : ) Super-hysterical about the 'orangeheads'. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the orangey stories...

    and i played photobooth friday today anyway, just because it's summahtime. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the chair photo!!!

    i posted some orange here:

    http://melanieelaine.blogspot.com/2007/07/color-week-friday-orange.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter is "strawberry blonde" but in truth she is a lovely shade of pale orange...kind of a really weak orangade or maybe a pale California Poppy. Long live orange...the color of flames and flowers and buttterfly wings.Of summer sunsets. Of popsicles , and gumballs and Zinnias. Of boldness. Of passion.Of "YES!"

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. When that flower picture popped up on my reader I was totally stunned. Beautiful! I still love the way you write :) How fun to imagine 6-year-old Andrea thinking about the color orange. That is the way I was about the color green. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh wow. i just discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. orange is a juicy word! my love of the color began with accessories. a watch. a purse. a new filofax. now i'm all about orange, even changing my blog colors to represent.

    orangehead is a good word.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love orange too. Love your photos. They are seriously stunning, lively, and absolutely gorgeous. I liked this post at decor8 and if you haven't seen it, check it out. There's some stuff that makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ever since she new colors my girl has loved orange. orange lovers make me smile, everytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. when I was little I hated orange and now I *love* it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. what gorgeous lush photos of orange. i have to say that i am deeply in love with orange. this is a 180-degree turn from my relationship to orange during the first part of my 42 years. my high school's colors were orange and black. i hated them! as a pale irish chick, i looked completely devoid of fleshly color back then.
    but now, orange makes my heart swoon ... and so do your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i just looked at your blog this week and i'm so happy to see the color of the day postings! i'll comment on the orange post... i love the color. your photos are amazing and i like reading your blog!! my dream one day is to buy another VW bug but this time it has to be ORANGE!

    ReplyDelete