05 February 2006
tagged by the lovely, lovely kristyn and bee-yoo-tee-ful jenny with this one and we all know how I feel about memes. plus, have you noticed how this one has made serious rounds? hello, dooce? keri? didn't know you girls could slum it with us down here in memesville. one two three four, here I go:
four jobs I’ve had:
1. concessions girl: sold skittles and mountain dew to cute sweaty boys for a couple of summers at my dad's basketball camps. not a bad gig.
2. server/waitstaff for one of atlanta's oldest (as in old southern money) country clubs: not particularly enamored with the whole country club scene but would be lying if I said I didn't love working those glitzy wedding receptions. in the belly of the obnoxiously overindulgent wedding reception beast-- this is where I learned how to set a gorgeous table, fold elegant white cloth napkins into impossible shapes and serve champagne like a pro. and because rich folk don't do doggie bags, leftover fresh flowers and fancy wedding cake to take home. word.
3. program director for non-profit dance education organization in inner city atlanta: moving in the spirit (stepping stones program). a job I loved but had to leave behind when I became a mother.
4. dance teacher: mainly modern and creative movement but also: african and hip hop. can fake my way through ballet if I have to. ages 3-63 in schools, afterschool programs, shelters, juvenile detention centers, studios. it's what I always saw myself doing, what I went to college for and how I'll be rocking it at age 94. god willing.
four movies I can watch over and over:
2. slaves of new york
4. flirting with disaster
four places I’ve lived:
1. salem, illinois: small town in the southern half, two hours east of st. louis.
2. cincinnati, ohio: made the big move my junior year of high school. my brothers and I were so happy to be getting out of salem, we wept tears of joy.
3. durham, north carolina: rented a room from a nice old couple three blocks from duke university for two summers while studying at the american dance festival.
4. atlanta, georgia: wow, since 1991.
four tv shows I love:
1. project runway
2. the office
3. arrested development
4. seinfeld reruns
four places I’ve vacationed:
1. new york city: again and again and again.
2. florida: miami, navarre beach and indian shores.
3. new orleans: honeymoon in the french quarter. took ava and ezra to stay in the same little bohemian hotel on our ten year wedding anniversary.
4. italy: venice, florence, san gimignano and rome (most amazing thirteen days of my life).
four of my favorite foods:
1. pizza with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes
2. cherries: fresh, frozen, dried
3. baked sweet potato 'fries' with raspberry dipping sauce
4. homemade red velvet cake: I bake it (from scratch using an old recipe) once a year for my birthday.
four albums I can't live without:
1. mos def: black on both sides
2. mum: finally we are no one
3. lauryn hill: the miseducation of lauryn hill
4. ella fitzgerald and louis armstrong: ella and louis again (what ward and were listening to together whilst we fell madly in LOOOVE).
four sites I visit almost daily:
1. wardomatic: I'm a do right woman.
2. flickr: obsessed with flickr.
3. ebay: got my eye on some pretties.
4. so many blogs, people. SO MANY BLOGS: take a looky at my linkies. all that and then some.
four places I would rather be now:
1. new york city: wandering the streets, taking photographs, letting the day happen. or sweating my way through alexander beller's phenomenal modern class. whatever you got, I'll take it.
2. the ocean: shell-hunting with my kids, breathing in thick salty air, screaming at the waves.
3. city museum: flying down three-story steel tube slides with the ava-girl, getting covered in paint and glitter while making kooky paper hats, spending way too much time and money in the photobooth at beatnik bob's.
4. italy: with ava and ezra and ward. fields of heavy-headed sunflowers (ripe for romping), cross country train rides, roman fountains and creamy gelato on the spanish steps.
*BUT ALSO: in art class (making collages), at the fleamarket or on a hot date with ward. oh wait, that's five. six, seven places I'd rather be. I hereby declare myself free of all meme rules. starting... now.
four items in my purse (bonus round courtesy of madness, via marigoldie):
1. broken crayons
2. 53 different tubes of lip gloss (yes, I need them ALL)
4. bright red super-duper bouncy ball
5. faux fur change purse with pennies for the fountain at fellini's
and this is the part where I tag four others but this meme has been all over the place and I don't remember who, what, what, when, how or why. so if you haven't done this one, tag. YOU'RE IT.