26 January 2012

dy-no-mite

so yesterday ezra sang with his second grade class and is there anything better than elementary school music performances? no, there is not. because they sing with their whole bodies, they sing with everything. they sway and they wiggle and they get so excited about the music they JUST HAVE TO MOVE. and they practice and practice these songs and then there's a whole gymnasium filled with people who've come to listen to them sing. it's a big day so they show up wearing things like gold sequined capes and red velvet vests, miniature bow ties and tiny tiaras. special dresses and shiny shoes and tucked-in shirts. and then some kids show up wearing tee shirts. the whole scene makes my heart swell. it always does.

they sang a few of the classics but then the music teacher threw us a curve ball. and it's not like I ever even liked the song dynamite but there is no way not to like it now that I've seen it performed by fifty-three second graders. because my goodness. when fifty-three second graders throw their hands up in the air and sing how they 'GON LIGHT IT UP, LIKE IT'S DY-NO-MITE', all bets are off. the song took on a completely different meaning and don't you know they brought the house down. the crowd went wild and fifty-three second graders (my son included) beamed. and if that is not the best thing to happen all week well then I don't know what is.

16 comments:

  1. okay, i had to listen to that song to see what it was. i can just picture the kids singing it now! adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get really misty at these things, I just cannot be stopped, cannot help myself.

    KIDS! ahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually got a little choked up reading this. I can picture it completely. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I would give to have seen that in person, heck to see a video of it even. And, what an earworm, now I'm gonna have that song in my head the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm listening to the song right now -- and beaming.
    Such a great memory that you shared here.
    Life is full of beautiful surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw this post made me happy.
    when i was a teacher, watching them do these performances was always a highlight of my year. i would often get teary as they performed because of all the things you just mentioned. there is nothing that can restore your faith in humanity like seeing a kid so full of pride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an amazingly precious performance! It's a shame that I can only sing with the wild abandon of a second grader if I'm a little tipsy at Karaoke night. Haha!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked that song, but now I like it more because I can just picture it sung by that class.

    Kids. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing. chills happening here in my tiny apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw! i know someone else who loves that song - it's a great song for them little ones! would've loved to have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. smiling so big right now! that's amazing! best thing I've read this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome. i can just see it in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah that gives me tears to think of it! i can't wait till marlo gets to be in things like this....

    ReplyDelete
  14. this story made ME beam and with tears! wow - such a powerful thing singing and storytelling are - thank you friend. i needed it today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. how CUTE!
    I miss those days!
    tara

    ReplyDelete