31 August 2011

the good fight

looks like

I walked into that yarn shop and I said yes. this is what I want. this is how I want to organize my life. items arranged according to color, tucked neatly into several pleasingly symmetrical little cubbies. instead, I am like most americans. I stuff things I don't really need under beds, into the backs of dark closets, into overflowing attics, basements, garages. make no mistake, I keep our main living spaces fairly clutter free. I'll tell you, when it comes to those areas, I'm a bit of a nut. but one peek at my basement and THE JIG IS UP.

it's not that I don't have a plan. it's that the plan makes me tired. the plan requires more time than I have to give it. the plan requires things like commitment and discipline. the plan demands I throw things out, things I'm not sure I'm ready to throw out. actually, what the plan really wants is a yard sale. this is not completely unreasonable, seeing as how I have put on my fair share of yard sales (and legendary ones, at that). but for some reason, I cannot rally. I start and then people need me and/or projects need me and the whole yard sale party is over before it ever really began. needless to say, this does not please the plan. truth be told, this disgusts the plan.

still, I continue to chip away. a drawer here, a shelf there, a few boxes from the attic, a file cabinet from the basement. I have learned to celebrate small victories. and when I really need a shot in the arm, I walk into a yarn shop. I eye the colors and the cubbies and I am filled with hope.

17 comments:

  1. I love organization. Especially by color!

    ♥ sécia
    www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to let a colorful yarn display remind you that everything is ok, I would have simply said yes to having all that beautiful yarn

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. man. you and me.
    I too, except mine is in an attic. I am getting better though. Instead of putting more in the attic - I will take it to the donation bin. But, still there is alot of stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the plan! I have the same plan and that plan is so relentless it whips my mind into a frenzy until I give into it's demands or until I momentarily give up and collapse into the heaps of toys and laundry.

    xo
    Cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, The Plan isn't very happy at my home most of the time, particularly when it looks at my studio. I try to keep a bag or box by the door and toss things in to recycle or send to goodwill as I see them; then when the bag is full, it has to go. Sometimes that works! = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my andrea...i am doing the same chipping, believe me. truthfully, i don't feel i'm making any real progress, but i keep going. hopefully i'll look around one day and say, "oh wow--i'm organized!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love and hate organizing. It's always better when it's not your own stuff, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working on organizing one area of our house a week. It went really well for three weeks. Then I got tired of it. Now I'm just luck if I get everything clean, and semi-presentable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You said it exactly how I feel about organization. I want it but it's hard stuff. Love the yarn photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing for the organizational fairy to make her way to my place too! Need to organize my kids' clothes - the too-small the too-large and the just right in their appropriate areas. Muh; sounds fun hey? Don't get me started on my home office. I'm comforted by the quote:
    CREATIVE MINDS ARE RARELY TIDY. Hopefully that extends to our home offices as well!
    www.freshphotos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am you, with regard to that slight feeling of despair at the scope of the job, but then attacking it in small phases. sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh goodness. that is so me.
    if only you could SEE my basement!
    that's my goal. to chip away a little at a time.
    and celebrate when i do! :)

    a good yarn shop always makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to come to one of your yard sales! We seem to like the same stuff. I know it's hard to give stuff up, but you really won't miss it much after it's gone and you will have more space for new treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you're chipping away at it...one bit at a time...

    Want to come play "Craft it Forward?"

    Char.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If it makes you feel better, there's a person who works 30 hours a week keeping that yarn organized. Her whole job is organizing that yarn and shipping out orders. That's all she does.

    *Love* that photo!

    ReplyDelete