28 July 2011

wigwam redux

best time ever

6

hi

slides and cicadas

gift shop loot

sleep we did

it was just about this time last year we found ourselves in cave city, kentucky at the wigwam village inn. right smack dab in the middle of an epic southeastern/midwestern road trip. I'll tell you, these are the kind of road trips I live for, these are the ones I hope ava and ezra talk about someday. hopefully, with something akin to fondness. my own childhood family road trip stories are nothing short of legendary-- long sweaty hours spent in the brownest station wagon, florida and all matters of the atlantic ocean in our sights. packed to the gills with a motley assortment of items-- mismatched luggage, boxes and bags of groceries, neon inner tubes. and probably a small toaster oven. I will never forget the look on the bellboy's face at one fort lauderdale hotel as we loaded up our luggage cart. horrified would be the word I would use to describe it. but we didn't care. all we could see was a turquoise ocean, a pretty high rise hotel and nothing but an entire week of vacation laid out before us.

we tell the stories over and over again, me and my brothers. we love to tell the corrona family vacation stories. I hope ava and ezra will tell stories someday. of road trips and adventures and mishaps and magic things. of wigwam inns and dairy queens and souvenir shops. I'd like to think that they will.

19 comments:

  1. Very cool! Looks like quite and experience.

    ♥ sécia
    www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. and the sentiment.
    plus, your hair is super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am POSITIVE that ava and ezra will remember these things fondly. i just know it. you and ward seem like the awesomest parents EVER. it's sad really...i sort of want you to be my parents. darn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have no doubt there will be stories. these are the things that make childhoods. you are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I've seen this before and would love to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the best memories come from being crammed into a vehicle with no air-conditioning on hot summer days for long hours of travel. Especially when those memories include teepees. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best part is you can build a wigwam in your backyard when you get home, and relive the memories! Hope you have a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the creative, adventurous, colorful life you lead with your family. It inspires me..and I aspire to be the same sort of mom. Some day. I know your life is not perfect, but it sure is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm quite sure the kiddos will tell stories of their road trips for many years to come. sounds like your having an amazing time. i love that you are traveling at a pace that gives the children and opportunity to reflect, soak in and bask in the magic...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome place to stay! Wish I had known about it when my boys were younger. And yes! Family trips do matter. Just wrote about it the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I hope they do.
    This looks like an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're planning on camping in a tee pee/wig wam in late September, this was like the perfect post! And I'm sure your kids will remeber their lives with much fondness. Every time I check your blog I am inspired, so I can only imagine how they feel.
    We just moved to south Florida and I saw in your post you mentioned Florida. Any ideas of cool places to see would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SO awesome! What a super cool place to vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I do think they will. I am just sure they will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is hilarious. I have ALWAYS wanted to stay in those since I saw them on the television way back. Never knew anyone to stay in them until now.

    Awesome documentary of them - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am from Kentucky and drove by this place many times when I was young. I always dreamed of staying there. I'm sure if I had when I was young I would never stop talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how awesome!! that looks like so much fun! [and totally posh for wigwams!]

    ReplyDelete