04 December 2007

the power of the gumdrop



all of the sudden, it's december. I kind of forgot how good december can be. the little dark cloud that has been looming surreptitiously over my head is no match for the scent of the fresh-cut christmas tree. the entire house smells like christmas trees. I find myself pinching the ends of the branches until the tips of my fingers are covered with sap. I grind it into the palms of my hands and think up reasons to shake hands with everyone I meet. it seems shameful not to share. that sticky, fragrant gum is impossibly magic. in the same way that charlie brown christmas music and crafts that require gumdrops and toothpicks are.

I have exuberantly jumped headfirst into the christmas season. partially because I'm more than ready to come out from underneath this funk but also because there's some really fantastic stuff going on with my church. I'm telling you, I'm ready to celebrate. I'm ready to throw off the chains and lose myself. normally, it takes me a good two weeks to ease into the season but this year feels different and I am not about to question and/or resist. the tree is up, the decorations have been thoughtfully set out and tonight, we string the lights.





we are also four days into the advent activity countdown, which is something I've always wanted to do with the kids. envelope number three called for the attaching of gumdrops to trees and wreaths, another something I've been wanting to do ever since I saw alicia's post on kiddley last year. I swear to you, the most relaxing holiday craft ever. sinking those tiny toothpicks into the soft sugary bright-colored chunks which then go on to magically transform styrofoam... is enough to make me want to cover all surfaces everywhere with gumdrops.





the list of the good that is and the good to come is a long and lovely one. I think I should like to save some for another day (lest I squander it here carelessly). one thing's for sure: the fog is finally lifting. the little snowpeople have seen to that. they've been quite persuasive.

20 comments:

  1. Oh! I forgot the wonder that is gumdrops and toothpicks! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to make a gumdrop wreath! how fun! i love those envelopes and i do hope you will continue to share more of what's inside them and what comes out of it! so glad things are on the upswing. christmas can always bring me out of a funk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you make me so happy!
    I hope you'll share what the other advent activities are that you've written in those envelopes as the days go by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that advent activity calendar, it's brilliant. we celebrate both holidays, right now it's the festival of lights and secretly, i'm chomping at the bit to get a tree and our christmas on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it we so easily forget about the magic of gumdrops? Once in a blue moon when I run across them, I think, Oh, I LOOOVE gumdrops! I think I have gumdropnesia... That is the best advent 'calendar' thing-y EVER - love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! I'm doing a gumdrop wreath this weekend--craft day with my sister-in-law. I'm so excited.

    BTW, thank you so much for exposing me to Alexandra Beller. I have been so incredibly inspired watching her work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you're feeling better and back in action with your wonderful creative ideas. Beautiful photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What other goodies do you have in store in your advent calendar? I am trying to make one, and I need to hurry since December is here! And you are so wonderfully creative, i would love to see what other ideas you have come up with!
    (Love, a long-time blurker)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i remember decorating with gumdrops when i was in elementary school. we get our tree tonight... i can't wait for it to smell up our apartment!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm bowled over by the gorgeousness that is your advent calendar.
    I've never made one as we don't have kids in the house, but I just might try my hand at one for us adults.
    So glad the funk is lifting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this post just made me smile. I love the advent that you made. I am gathering all sorts of good ideas of next year... (too slow to get it going this year)
    But I am on a count down myself...
    we have a birthday coming up and christmas and new years...
    I am slowly getting into the spirit.

    xo- so glad the funk has lifted and it is now raining gumdrops in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yaaaay, you're back...thank goodness for the snowpeople! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad you're feeling better. christmas can be so wonderful for the spirit.

    and i don't care that i'm not a kiddie anymore, i'm not really grown up either so i'm definitely gonna try this and hang it up in my room :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. the power of the gumdrop. love that. your advent calendar is so beautiful. glad you are feeling better. xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh the funk...glad that christmas is getting you out of it.
    love these photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That stamping and paper combo is really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY, Hula! And you are right - the smell of Christmas trees and the sugary-crystalness of gumdrop crafts IS magical! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. FREAKIN' GORGEOUS advent calendar!!!! I wanna open those SOOOO bad!

    ReplyDelete
  20. where oh where did you get those stamps??? i love the style of the numbers...

    ReplyDelete