25 February 2011

photobooth friday

photobooth friday!

something like a year ago, I received an email from the assistant of a french author who asked if I might like to be part of a photobooth book. there was to be no financial compensation but might I be interested? well, yes. a french photobooth book? YES. ABSOLUTELY YES. the very thought of my photobooth frames appearing on the pages of a french photobooth book had me over the moon, pay or no pay. I mean, even if never saw the finished product, never got to hold the book with my own two hands. the very thought.

in the months that followed, there was a little back and forth regarding which photobooth frames would be used in the book and could I write a little something about my experience with photobooths? yes, of course I could and then, I don't know. I just sort of forgot about the whole thing. in december, I received an email informing me the book was finished and could I please send my mailing address so they could send me a copy? again, over the moon at the prospect but the craziness of december set in and again, I forgot all about it.

english version

until january 27th, that is. which is when I found myself in san francisco at the moma (henri cartier bresson show= part of that belated 40th birthday adventure). more specifically, I found myself standing in the gift shop in front of an enormous book display. which is when I spied a new photobooth book. which, of course, I promptly picked up and thumbed through. wow, I thought. wow. this is great, this is fantastic. pages and pages of terrific photobooth frames and the work of so many amazing photobooth artists. daniel minnick (a long time favorite of mine) and so many others. the work of lovely fellow polaroid photographer jena ardell and my good friend and fellow photographer cori kindred. wow, I thought. why couldn't I have been part of a book like this? I WOULD KILL TO BE PART OF A BOOK LIKE THIS. friends, at that exact moment, the book fell open to the spread with my photobooth frames, my words, my name across the top. at once, I remembered. the french photobooth book! this is that french photobooth book! except this one was in english and it was here, in my hands. here, in the middle of the moma gift shop downtown san francisco. it was a moment, I tell you. an extraordinary little moment. and almost five years to the date of when I first started the photobooth friday project. fancy that.

so very exciting

one week later, I received the french version of the book in the mail. that night, I stuffed that beautiful little photomaton book in my bag and made my way down to the nearest photobooth. but of course, my friends. but of course.

the necessary linkage:

photobooth: the art of the automatic portrait (in english)
photomaton (in french)
photobooth friday (five years! my little flickr group is all growns up)
cori kindred and her awesome post on the book

also, many many thanks to author raynal pellicer. 'tis an honor to be a part of such a book.

43 comments:

  1. WOW!! What an amazing moment to have! That's so awesome - I can only imagine what you felt like when you saw your page - talk about surreal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome! i am so happy for you & cori!!

    and i know that feeling. i get super excited every time i see "new york: a photographic album" in a book store here in NYC. i believe you are in that one with me, too, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serious awesome amazing news! I'm jotting down the title to buy it this weekend. Congratulations, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC. i am so happy for you! and so proud! so very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you lead a charmed life, i tell you. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Andrea, what a fabulous way to be recognized for doing what you love. = )

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! i think no other word than COOL sums this all up!! i want the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is seriously awesome. What a fun series of events!!!! :D Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting for you!! Congrats!...and ENJOY!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing Andrea! I'm so excited for you. What an incredible honor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's fantastic Andrea! I'm really happy this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! that is so absolutely perfectly fabulous! i love this. i love the glimpses of your life over the years and how this little project has developed. and i looove that you are in a book about it! it is now number one on my to-buy book list. congrats and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Congrats!!!!

    I had a few very small pictures in my state's edition of America 24/7...I entered for the heck of it...and it's still very exciting. The one drawback, every time I see one of those books on clearance, I have to rescue my pictures and bring them home...I have many many copies of that book.

    So did you buy the book in the MoMA gift shop?! I so hope you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Andrea!
    LOL I had to laugh at your realisation when flipping through the book - totally something I would do.

    Congrats, love! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! And of all ways to find the book, that's just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could smooch the heck out of you and your awesome face right now. This is so great. Kinda like a million and one things about you. Can't wait to check this out in person. Congrats times one bajillion, lovely!

    And just reading about that SF adventure makes me smile all over again. Miss you. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! this had to be quite the highlight.
    i have big fat goosebumps!

    congrats miz hula.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastic.

    YOU are fantastic.

    And now I have another book to add to the wishlit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so awesome! Ha, I can't even imagine the feeling when you saw your own stuff in the book...neat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang girl! You are so badass! (And I don't use that word much but it seems appropriate here!)
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to you lady. How very exciting. I really enjoyed your photobooth series. You never cease to amaze and inspire...Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, that is so nice ! Congrats !!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. being asked to be in the book: cool

    being in the book: cool

    finding out you're in the book @ sfmoma: priceless

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh wow! This story gave
    me goosebumps, the good
    happy goosebumps that make
    you feel like you've just
    witnessed something so very
    spectacular. And it was!
    Congratulations! I'll need
    to get my hands on a copy.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Quite Incredible! GASP! I love it! So great Andrea :) Congrats! Go photobooth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is splendid! What a lovely surprise, you must have been quite glad that you forgot all about it just for that moment to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  27. omg. this is just STELLAR. congrats. hope you are celebrating BIG. i wonder if there is some way for me to order this book? i will start my search...!

    ReplyDelete
  28. congrats my friend! and might i say... i am glad it knocked your socks off to find your work there. what a moment!
    love to you, friend.
    xO

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is fabulous! I loved reading this. How we forget things that affect our lives. The little details do ad up.
    So cool that you went and found a photo booth & took the photograph with you and the book in hand. Well done!
    Blessings, Lisa~LeafandInk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just ordered it, looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yeah! Get on, girl! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's a fantastic story Andrea! So great that you could have that incredble moment of discovery. The book looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. How exciting! I'm very happy for you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  34. congratulations!! so amazing. the thought of finding your work in the gift shop unaware... gives me chills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. loved reading this! leah

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is perfection, my friend. So happy for you. So happy that more people can know the joy of these booths. Serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  37. this is awesome! I loved reading your post and how the story unfolded. How exciting for you. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What an incredible story! I kinda love that you discovered it by accident. You are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just wanted to send you a msg
    to tell you that I got a copy
    of this book yesterday and holy
    cow, it is FANTASTIC! Loved how
    they made it very 'scrapbookish.'
    You gotta love the French and
    their great attention to detail.
    So, yay! Best book buy of the
    year so far. :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Despise not small beginnings ... I've been telling myself that over and over. All of your work/fun has come to meet up with fruition! HOW WONDERFUL! And, as you said, " ... the book just fell open to that page ...!" LOVE THAT! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete