30 September 2005

oh nancila



I am sending big fat birthday love to my best friend nancy today. in my mind, I am filling your house with fresh flowers of every variety. I am baking you an enormous seven-layer chocolate cake with gobs of chocolate icing and sprinkles. I am singing happy birthday to you in my best katherine-hepburn-on-golden-pond voice. I am making you wear a silly hat (ha, look! I really DID make you wear a silly party hat for all the world to see) and I am blowing a party horn probably a little too loudly. I am wishing I could be there to actually do all these things for you because there is great reason to celebrate, because (thank you god) you were born into this world around the same time I got to town.

I have thought so much about our friendship these past couple of months, our friendship that turned twenty years old this past summer. there are so many stories, oh there are stories. I want to write and write until I can't write any longer, there's so much to say. do I write about that summer we first met waitressing together at church camp? do I write about how we loveloveloved U2 together, how passionate and idealistic we both were when we started out? do I write about the trips we've taken together? (more specifically, your first trip to the ocean when we got stuck in that sand storm and our big trip to new york)... do I write about how you instinctively knew ward was a keeper, how you went on to become the world's greatest maid of honor? do I write about how you encouraged me to make the move to atlanta to work with moving in the spirit, how you pushed me to go to the american dance festival? how do I begin to describe my admiration for you? (living in india on your own while doing three months of social work practicum, getting your masters, doing what you do, everyday with so much patience and compassion)... do I write about how you listened to me go on and on and ON during my pregnancies, how great of an auntie you are, how much ava adores you, how you always give the kids the BEST gifts ever? do I write about your fantastic sense of humor, how you make me laugh until no sound is coming out of my mouth, until I can no longer breathe? do I write about the hours and hours we spend on the phone, dissecting relationships and talking about everything and nothing? do I write about how you are the most amazing listener? do I write about how we dream of living in the same city? do I write about how my life has been forever changed by the you-ness of you?

okay, enough with the questions already. happy birthday and I love you.

12 comments:

  1. Best friends are the best. Nivah Ry Eckert is my best girlfriend...and I'm VERY blessed to know her. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I miss my BFF!!!

    Gotta go find the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are the best party hats ever! I think you've made me something like that for real before. And don't we look cute in clown make-up? Reading this entry prompted one of those laugh-cry moments, but mostly the laughing part. I crave those belly splitting laughs! Don't know who I'd be without your influence, An. When I was afraid to take the leap and leave the country, you sent me that card that said, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do," and the decision was made. Thank you for the memories and the twenty years of birthday wishes. I'll be honest, I have come to expect your birthday packages of chocolate and etc., and will be checking my mail. (Don't want to sound as though I take you for granted, but since it is my birthday let me add that lately I've been in to truffles and raspberry-chocolate combinations.) I am going to have a great day because you have taught me how to make every moment of our short lives a celebration. I am happy to pave the road to 3? for you. (Should we reveal our age? That's up to you.) Well I'm off now to buy a bite of chocolate to hold me over until your package comes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do people go through life without amazing friends? nancila sounds amazing and i love this picture you painted of your friendship with your words. and yeah i want to hear more about how you and ward met and how your friend just "knew" he was a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on another birthday nancy! (and that sand storm story is the best: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANCY!!!

    What a great birthday present without actually being there, Andrea! I love this post. I'm glad to know that I was there for some of these moments, and they are indeed classic. Andrea, you have a great treasure in Nancy -- you two are inseperable when you get together and I hardly can get a word in edgewise. But I don't mind. You two are a force of nature and that's a great thing. Here's to many more wonderful birthdays, Nancy! My glass is raised to you. Here here!

    (And thanks for putting in a good word about me to Andrea. Check's in the mail.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Nancila! I want to meet this woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great tribute! best friends ARE the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a great tribute andrea, i love the make-up job you did and the collagey thing going on. and even though i don't know you nancila, anyone who can make anyone do the belly splitting laughs is someone i'd like to know! so happy birthday and many many more 3? returns!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. I wish I could show you all the handmade cards Andrea has made me over years. And gifts from soup to nuts - magic wands to vintage Indian incense boxes. Lulu - if only you could have seen the sandstorm. The best part was the rafts blowing away like Dorothy's house and Andrea saying in what seemed to be slow motion, "J-u-s-t l-e-t t-h-e-m g-ooooo!" Ward? Clearly a keeper for several reasons: he was a Christian without being judgmental, he had taste in music and all things visual. He took a joke well and was sincere, genuine, I knew nothing shady would come from him. Ward's always been very easy to be with, a soothing presence. By the way Ward, thanks for always respecting our friendship and taking it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea:
    Loved this entry. What a great tribute to friendship. I have decided that women who don't have sisters, make the best friends. I am a friend to my sisters, but I think I lag in the friendship department to other women. But your blog entry confirms my observation - what a great friendship you and Nancy have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is June 1st 2011 and i have decided to start reading your blogs from the beginning. This is probably the best tribute ever! I hope you and Nancy are well and have made atleast a million more memories since this post. Thank you for this post made me smile and remember my bff. xoxo

    ReplyDelete