09 June 2005

the big one


ezra is turning one this saturday and preparations for his first big blow-out birthday bash are enthusiastically underway. I am in a state of disbelief over how quickly his first year has flown by me, can't believe the big day is literally right around the corner. didn't we just watch ava stick both hands into her first birthday cake?




ava's first party was a raging success, with daisies and bubbles and family all over the place. as I remember it, she seemed to be completely puzzled by the whole scene (as most babies are)... looking at all of us like, "why are all these people standing around me smiling and clapping and singing? what's the deal with all these bubbles? can I eat the flowers? what's this strange hat doing on my head? and more importantly, why is it all of the sudden 'okay' for me to dig my hands into this big gooey thing? it's almost as if they WANT me to eat it!"... and once she figured it all out I'm here to tell you she was into that chocolate cake UP TO HER ELBOWS. by the time she finished, it looked as if she was wearing chocolate boxing gloves. that's my girl, I thought. and now she will be turning five this summer. I am beginning to realize why my dad gets that misty, faraway look in his eyes when he talks about the time in his life when me and my brothers were kids. he's always saying he'd give anything to go back and re-live those days. now I'm starting to understand why.

11 comments:

  1. how sweet are those pictures! love the daisies! a big big 1st happy birthday to ezra! have fun and take lots of photos! good thing we can look at photos to take us back to those times as it is scary how fast time flies. before we know it we'll be in your dad's shoes. he has wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaylie had that exact same dress. I love summer birthdays and all of the beautiful pictures you get with the gorgeous light. The party is going to be a great success! Jaylie's birthday is in a month (from yesterday) and I am so excited. We are going to have a luau! I can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so precious :) Why does it go so fast!!!??? I can't belive how fast Owen's 1st year went... now if only pregnancy could go that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful cake and pictures you have to remember and share Ava's first birthday with! And happy upcoming birthday to Ezra.
    Savor each and everyday you have with them for it is all just one great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember that birthday party like it was last year! Amazing how fast she has grown and become a "cool kid!"

    Little Ezra's party should be a load of fun--I guess we should treasure the moment. He will be 5 before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't get over how much Ezra looks like Ava at that age. Practically twins.

    That first birthday party was a big success, without some hitches, of course. But it was all worth it. I can't wait for Ezra's first now. It'll be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I love that last shot there, with my wonderful Oma and late Opa. He is sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. why are all these people standing around me smiling and clapping and singing

    exactly! birthdays are sensory overload for kids.

    i can't imagine the moments being so special for my parents as they are for me--it helps me to understand how much my mom loves me:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The other day I was watching my soon to be five year old, with the same sort of amazement. His head looks bigger. Those legs are pretty long. This kid is really growing! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great memories of Ava's first! Yes...time flies and we are so blessed to and can't wait to see the pictures of Ezra! He really does look like Ava when she was that age! Thank you, Lord, for these grandkids, Ava, Luxie and Ezra! Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday! Ezra!

    ReplyDelete